Partition query

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Partition query

Postby Lanser » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:30 pm

Hi all,
I have a space problem when I originally installed suse 8.1 I needed win98 to run some bespoke progs so went for dual boot. part table as follows

hda1 vfat 52.8gb /windows 1 gb used
hda2 ext2 765mb /boot
hda3 swap 1gb /swap
hda4 extended
hda5 reiser 52.8gb / 10gb used
hda6 reiser 7.7gb /home 7gb used

now i realise that i have made a slight error of judgement
:lol: but if i back up /home can I resize /windows and or root to gain space for /home or is it easier to start from scratch although I am still reluctant to remove windows completely it is an option, so if you haven't fallen asleep reading this could I have your suggestions please?
regards John
Lanser

RE: Partition query

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:04 pm

With that layout I'd be inclined to start again. Although you could probably just resize the windows partition and repartition the rest of the drive and reinstall your Linux distro, it would be best to back up your windows data too.

You don't give a usage for /boot, but I would bet that's scarcely used either. I have a 38MB boot partition and with the stock SuSE kernel, memtest, a custom built kernel and all the associated files I still have 24MB to spare.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:13 pm

I'd backup everything else, resize the Windows partition then put everything else back on logical partitions. It makes any future resizing much easier. Something like

hda1 5GB windows
hda5 50MB /boot
hda6 1GB swap
hda7 15-20GB /
hda8 the rest /home

10GB used on / seems quite a lot, you could probably do a bit of housekeeping to shave at least a couple of gigs from that.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Lanser » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:51 pm

Thanks Chaps a bit of wishful thinking on my part have to go the lvm route I think
Lanser

Return to Help!