HP Pavilion Media Center a1620.fr

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

HP Pavilion Media Center a1620.fr

Postby paulm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:02 pm

In my continuing quest for some upgraded hardware, I've been offered this box - HP Pavilion Media Center a1620.fr. Its a small form factor tower, not bad specs, and at a fairly good price. I don't even have to pay the MS tax!

I've been able to try a live CD on one of them, and had most things work. What doesn't seem to be working is the NIC. Running lspci gives me this:

Code: Select all
02:08.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) LAN Controller (rev 01)
   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 2a22
   Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
   Memory at fdefe000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
   I/O ports at ee00 [size=64]
   Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

I've no experience with this Intel chipset. Can anyone tell me if there is a Linux driver for this one? I guess I can always add a cheap PCI NIC, but I'd rather get something that works without adding extras.

I was unable to check that the sound worked (no speakers and no source available) but lsmod does show sound drivers loaded:

Code: Select all
snd                    25524  8 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm,snd_timer
snd_page_alloc          4616  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Does anyone know if the sound chip is properly supported? I seem to remember problems with Intel HDS

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

RE: HP Pavilion Media Center a1620.fr

Postby nelz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:45 pm

It looks like this one uses the mii and e1000 modules.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby paulm » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:21 pm

Thanks. Looking at the (somewhat vague) HP specs, it looks as though the ethernet interface is only 10/100, but if I get the chance I'll try both the e1000 and the e100 along with mii.

I've still not made my mind up as to whether to buy something like this or go with my original intention and build a machine. I spend so much time building for other people it might make a pleasant change to do one for myself. Or save the labour - decisions, decisions....

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:30 pm

If you are a competent system builder why buy in stuff that might not work, much better build your own box to your own standards ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Re: RE: HP Pavilion Media Center a1620.fr

Postby paulm » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:09 pm

towy71 wrote:If you are a competent system builder why buy in stuff that might not work, much better build your own box to your own standards ;-)

:) You've convinced me. Well, I must admit I was leaning that way anyhow. Started ordering bits today...

paul.
paulm
LXF regular

Return to Hardware