Ubuntu: problems with xine, MPlayer and RealPlayer

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby jer1ch0 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:08 pm

coolclassic wrote:Whilst you are connected to the internet and using xine right click>settings>skin downloader. Take your pick

sorry, that doesn't work. It's still there.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby LXFRulz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:44 pm

It seems like you already have it fixed, but Kaffeine works like a charm on my Ubuntu system (a Toshiba laptop too!) But I downloaded all of the KDE/Kubuntu files too.
To change my prefrences, I just right clicked on the file and did an open with, It brought up the GUI and I searched for the Kaffeine executable. Everything worked fine from then on, because it keeps the last tool used as the default for media, at least for me.
Ubuntu does kick much butt! However, I'm thinking about moving to Debian when I finally get the new issue.
________
Yamaha XS500
________
buy no2
Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LXFRulz

Postby Marrea » Mon Aug 01, 2005 5:06 pm

LXFRulz wrote:I just right clicked on the file

Yes, I have managed to fix the problem, thanks.

Incidentally, though, and sorry for being so clueless, but what file exactly did you right click on to change the DVD player preferences?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Erin » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:26 pm

Marrea, I think it'd be Konqueror [I forget as I do not use KDE/Qt] or whatever it is called. In GNOME you'd do something similar in Nautilus. Viva GNOME and Xine :-)

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:40 pm

jer1ch0 wrote:
coolclassic wrote:Whilst you are connected to the internet and using xine right click>settings>skin downloader. Take your pick

sorry, that doesn't work. It's still there.

Open xine, select the Setup window (configure), on the GUI tab deselect the "Display splash screen" option. If you don't see that option, you might need to select a higher "Configuration experience level", I have expert selected.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:59 am

Rhakios wrote:Open xine, select the Setup window (configure), on the GUI tab deselect the "Display splash screen" option. If you don't see that option, you might need to select a higher "Configuration experience level", I have expert selected.

Rhakios

Thanks for this. I too have often wondered how to get rid of that (currrently) very out of season Xmas decoration. I shall have a go at this when I get home tonight. I find it's best to have "Master of the known universe" selected at all times, then you can inflict all sorts of mayhem on your copy of xine !!
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:01 am

Erin wrote:Marrea, I think it'd be Konqueror [I forget as I do not use KDE/Qt] or whatever it is called. In GNOME you'd do something similar in Nautilus. Viva GNOME and Xine :-)

Erin

Erin

Thanks. As you know, I have already fixed the problem but I was just interested to know of any alternative way I could have done this.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Aug 02, 2005 7:13 pm

Marrea wrote: I find it's best to have "Master of the known universe" selected at all times, then you can inflict all sorts of mayhem on your copy of xine !!

I'm inclined to wonder about how they name the settings in Xine. "Expert", at least in my case, could be relabelled "Think you know what you're doing, but not too sure".

:D
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Previous

Return to Help!