EU Query

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

EU Query

Postby Chewy » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:57 pm

for thoose here that are british I was wondering, I am right saying that sine the UK is an EU member that means that british citizens are allowed to walk into any other EU member and work and live there without a need to have/or apply for visa?

IE

a british member can work and live in france without a Visa.

am I right or am I missing something?
Chewy

RE: EU Query

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:05 am

No, you're right. Within the EU (especially the 'old EEC members') there is a free flow of traffic for goods, services and labour. However, it would be wise to consult the French embassy in London or the UK embassy in Paris to get more info on working (and presumably living) in France as a British citizen. Some of the things you've gotto get used to:
a) the French are metric, so forget your imperial measurements like miles, ounces and gallons
b) learn the value of the Euro (at an alltime high against the pound sterling these days)
c) the French are..., well: French... ;)

Best of luck anyway :)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

RE: EU Query

Postby Rhakios » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:48 am

I suppose there are various income tax, national insurance and pension considerations to take into account as well.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Chewy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 am

Oh Dutch master that wasn't deal, haha.

I was looking at programming jobs in the UK, and Australia, and it hit me that the EU has something(Four freedom treaty I later found out). It does state freedom trafficking of labor, So I thought it can't be that easy there must be a catch somewhere...

See Dutch_Master, Im in australia, So metric, I know it rather well :). The fact is it didn't occur to me i could be looking at jobs in countries like:- Denmark, Sweden, Germany, italy, et al.

Plus there must be a catch somewhere, Im use to visa's taking 2 years to process to last for 4 years... Though you've concured with me, therefore I'll see if i can get emails to see jobs on a continent level.

i thought of france because of Mandriva :P
Chewy

Re: RE: EU Query

Postby Chewy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:52 am

Rhakios wrote:I suppose there are various income tax, national insurance and pension considerations to take into account as well.

Lived in Malaysia for 11 years... lived and worked in australia for 4 years...

Im young still I doubt pensions be least my problems, plus since the job is casual-time Ive probably only got $60 in there.

Tax is hefty, and nasty over here in australia... USA's Tax is blessing, same for the UKs
Chewy

RE: Re: RE: EU Query

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:25 pm

Oh, I see. So you're not from the EU in the first place? In that case the rules are quite different: you're not allowed to come over unless you've got a job. Difficult to say the least from Down Under... My advise: get in contact with some EU embassy in Sidney/Melbourne/Perth/wherever* to ask which rules apply to you. Mind you, immigration is still handled at the national level (i.e. each memberstate has their own rules and guidelines) and over the last years quite a number of EU memberstates raised the bar significantly to keep the influx of cheap labour from abroad down. That includes the UK and the Netherlands.

Special message for those who want to come to the EU to find paradise: if you hear a rumour that some EU country lifted restrictions or something, forget it! It's not happening, you won't be eligable to stay and work in the EU if you have a particular religion, come from a certain country, background or whatever: the rules aren't bend for you to enter!

*make your choice, this is Linux after all ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: EU Query

Postby Chewy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm

Dutch_Master wrote:Oh, I see. So you're not from the EU in the first place? In that case the rules are quite different:

*make your choice, this is Linux after all ;)

Lol again, i think either i keep swaying you off track Dutch_Master, or you misinterpreted me.

Im British, and I'm definitely a European Citizen :) I have just spent most of my life, living overseas (Malaysia, UAE, Australia, etc.) So I'm not Australian, in fact my visa with australia is currently been a major hassle, and it expires in August...

I totally understansd where your coming from in your second paragraph, like i say i get daily E-mails about job opportunities in Australia(current Residence), Britain(home), and United States(well... because...). I just had this revelation yesterday that the EU had a four freedom treaty, or something of the sort, and I thought Hang On.... From what i heard from a british friend in Cambridgeshire, the borders in europe cease to exist you can drive from austria, to germany without being pulled up for a passport.

So I'm a student, just curious about job prospectives. The fact that theres an extra 27 countries ive given a shut eye to all this time, means i haven't realized the true possibilities. Hell I could be fortunate enough to work in Cophenhagen, Demark, and live in Malmo, Sweden.

the point was apart from adapting, theres no visa, security checks, etc. from what Ive heard.
Chewy

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: EU Query

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:50 pm

As a British citizen you're entitled to these freedoms. Doesn't matter if you spend years abroad, if you have a UK passport you're entitled to travel freely throughout the EU. Keep in mind that although the 'internal' borders are unguarded, each memberstate still has the right to impose passportcontrol at it's borders. And most do on an occasional basis. That is, except the UK... They do it permanently on their side of the tunnel with France :roll: That's OK though, the British always wanted to be different from the Continent :mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:17 pm

Actually, apart from miles, the UK has been metric since I was in school ( nearly 40 years ago).

And you can still ask for a pound of apples (un Livre de pommes) in France and get served without a problem (but it will be half a Kilo of apples you get). :-)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:32 pm

pfund apfel works in Bavaria too <roll>
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby johnhudson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:38 pm

The principle of freedom of labour is in place but there are still restrictions on accepting certain qualifications as valid in every country which can limit choice of job; however, I am not aware of any programming qualifications to which that would apply.

Bear in mind that if your job requires you to be physically in another European country, it is an advantage to speak the language. It may even be necessary to talk to clients. If you don't need to be physically in the country, programming is one job you can do remotely, perhaps visiting for meetings occasionally.

John
johnhudson
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: EU Query

Postby Dutch_Master » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:46 pm

towy71 wrote:pfund apfel works in Bavaria too <roll>
Until they give you a pond full of apples ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Return to Off Topic