What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:14 pm

Just as a matter of interest Andy, did you use the native port of Scribus to OS X, or did you use the fink package?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby andychannelle » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:07 pm

I've previously been using the Fink package of 1.2.x, but I went for the native port of 1.3 - that's what convinced MF to let me do the review. I have to say, for 'alpha' software, I've found it remarkably stable and with every release it's getting closer to the point where it could just drop in as a replacement for Quark or InDesign for lots of jobs.
PDF output and options in Scribus are astonishingly comprehensive.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Jul 26, 2005 11:24 pm

I can't say that I have found 1.3 for OS X to be as stable as 1.2.1 for Linux (the only version I have had the chance to use extensively). It has crashed once and exited badly out of only about four trial uses. Also, it does not seem to remember font substitutions all the time. But as you say, it is still alpha software and it is unsurprising if it's a bit buggy. It will open my existing scribus docs okay, so that's something.
I shall look forward to it becoming more stable in future, so that I can switch from one machine to another without problems.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby davecs » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:10 am

andychannelle wrote:Question: If Scribus can sort out a decent implementation of the CMYK colour space, why can't Gimp?

Scribus also makes that question redundant. If I ever want to print a photo, I always "frame" it in Scribus. You can play with your bitmap first in Gimp, but export it to colour separations etc from Scribus.

As you may have gathered, I LOVE Scribus!!!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Form

Postby andychannelle » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:07 am

Couple it with the newly released Inkscape 0.42 and Gimp and you have a complete OSS graphical/design workflow system. It's a pretty exciting time to be involved (even if only as a user) in this sort of software - unless you're Adobe or Quark perhaps!

Rhakios, how do you mean exited badly - I've not experienced this and I've been using it quite intesively.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:23 pm

andychannelle wrote:Rhakios, how do you mean exited badly - I've not experienced this and I've been using it quite intesively.

I'm afraid I didn't note down the error message when it happened, it was the first time I'd run this version and I wasn't sure what to expect, but essentially I closed the program (File>Quit) the window disappeared and an OS X error message popped up. As I said I didn't note it down, but the main consequences appeared to be that next time it started it didn't have anything under the File>Open Recent option and it had forgotten my font substitutions. The later errors with font substitution have all been of the nature of asking me if I want to substitute font x for font x, where x is the same font, odd but hardly critical.

If the version of OS X makes any difference, I'm using 10.3.9.

I hope to get more opportunities to play around with it at the weekend, when I might get to find out just how stable it is.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Li

Postby andychannelle » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:35 pm

I have noticed today that after a few hours use, there are a few glitches. For example the Insert > Sample Text option gets a bit erratic. But once I'd closed it down and reopened it was fine.
I'm trying to put it through its paces as much as possible before I submit the review - I wouldn't want to give people unrealistic expectations of OSS, but the competition on OS X is thin on the ground to say the least. So far I've mocked up pages from various magazines, built a style sheet for a fanzine (Sniffin' Blue - a zine dedicated to a well known and very rubbish boyband), created a tri-fold colour A4 leaflet for a friend's car business and designed a CD cover for a fictional goth band called Swallow.

I get a bit frustrated by the incomplete keyboard shortcuts, but that's something I can live with for a moment. A the current furious rate of development (do these people sleep?) I would expect that to be sorted out pretty quickly.
andychannelle
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Li

Postby Rhakios » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:05 pm

The lack of complete keyboard shortcuts is not something that has bothered me greatly as I am rather mouse dependant (yes, the first thing I got for my PowerBook was a proper 3 button mouse :D )
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby comcamel » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:07 am

say if you wanted to do imagery, do you just use say adobe photoshop or do you go for small images in gimp? Isn;t there with the new gimp support for printing colours?
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:15 pm

There is a plugin called Separate, which might be included with your version of gimp (it is in SUSE 9.3), however, when I tried it it crashed.
In any event, colour spearations are only really necessary for professional printing, if you are just churning copies out of your inkjet of desktop laser printer then there are so many other places where colour profiles can go wrong that you'd be making a lot of effort for nothing.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby jlarue » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:09 am

nelz wrote:LXF adheres to the principles of open source and leaves all grammer (sic) and spell checking to peer review :)

I generally write and spell check in Kate and use wc for word counts. When are we going to get a decent text editor with word counts? I would kill for a Linux port of GoldED.

First, about that peer review. I believe you mean "grandmother," not "grammer."

My favorite application in the world is Gedit -- a beautifully simple and clean application that does word count and spell check.

But you might be interested in this, too -- how to add wc to kate's menus.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.ph ... 0&forum=18
jlarue

Postby nelz » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:33 am

I tried Gedit but wasn't keen. I used dcop to add word count to Kate, but this looks a better way of doing it. I'll give it a try, thanks. What I'd really like in a text editor is a constant word count in the status bar.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby comcamel » Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:27 pm

well say if i wanted to publish a magazine in Linux i cannot be bothered reading through every line of words on my page, for grammer or spelling, is there any plugin or any piece of opensource software that checks for very basic grammer mistakes, such as really long sentences, full stops etc. As i need a bit in, not on the extent of annoying word 2003?
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sun Aug 07, 2005 3:54 pm

Hmm, just hit what seems to me to be a bit of a killer with Scribus on OSX. Using the Print Preview feature I see no controls to close the preview window and as long as it is open I cannot access any of Scribus's other controls. Killed it kindly with kill -1, glad I had saved before previewing. :?

Later on it died with signal #11 while accessing document properties :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:13 am

comcamel wrote:well say if i wanted to publish a magazine in Linux i cannot be bothered reading through every line of words on my page, for grammer or spelling,

In which case, you should not expect others to be bothered with reading it either.

comcamel wrote:is there any plugin or any piece of opensource software that checks for very basic grammer mistakes, such as really long sentences, full stops etc.

Yes, it's called an editor. While most commercial editors require some sort of renumeration, Future have a ready supply of editors that run on peanuts and bananas :D

BTW - before you check your grammer and spelling, you should check your spelling of grammer :)
nelz
Site admin

PreviousNext

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs