What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby comcamel » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:30 am

I was wondering, does Linux format use anything like scribus, or any commercial software, or possibly software that they have created themselves, as i am next year wanting to do some desk top publishing and i am wanting to give away from Microsoft publisher to say, scribus, what do you say?
comcamel
LXF regular

RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:53 am

Can't really comment on how good Scribus is, but LXF is produced on Macs mostly, if my memory serves me right. I think they had an article about it in the mag once.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:34 am

LXF is finely crafted by hand on parchment, and then delivered on a silver pillow to the printers. Oh yeah, and there may be a bit of InDesign in there too.

I don't know a great deal about pro-level DTP, but from my experience of Scribus -- brilliant as it is -- it wouldn't be quite up to the demands of a big newsstand glossy. Still, it's excellently capable for newsletters and small magazines, and it's screaming along with new features, so who knows one day?

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:11 am

well, really to keep linux format about Linux they should dedicate one page to be created totally by Linux based stuff, such as Scribus, which possibly could have tips on how to make your own publications every week... It is like saying to microsoft, we made windows by using software only compatible with Linux!
comcamel
LXF regular

Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:58 pm

comcamel wrote:well, really to keep linux format about Linux they should dedicate one page to be created totally by Linux based stuff, such as Scribus, which possibly could have tips on how to make your own publications every week... It is like saying to microsoft, we made windows by using software only compatible with Linux!

Great idea - maybe even a four or eight page section.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: What Software is used to make Linux Format?

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:56 pm

I hate to mention this, but there was an interesting series of articles on using Scribus to create a local newspaper in Linux Magazine, issues 49 through 51. You can find them all in the pdf archive on their site. I will refrain from giving links so as no to deepen any offence I might cause to the delicate sensibilities of the LXF hacks.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby davecs » Sun Jul 24, 2005 8:01 pm

Thing is that Linux Format is part of a Magazine Empire (!) called Future Publishing (which is part of an even bigger group I think), which also publishes mags on Windoze, Macs, and other stuff too.

They probably produce all their stuff on Macs.

That said, Scribus is a gem of a program, and is more than capable of producing a colour glossy magazine. And it's getting better all the time in terms of features and ease of use.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby comcamel » Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:51 am

even if the did still do their work on macs, they could still import pictures of say creating a newspaper in scribus, i'd rather see a professional use Linux and it may not look so good, than them using macs and having a better quality. Aswell somethings don't even have to be done on macs, such as writing stuff -

can i ask do future publishing check their grammer and spelling on the computer or by the editor?
comcamel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:09 am

"Aswell somethings don't even have to be done on macs, such as writing stuff"

Indeed. Everything I write for the mag is done on a Linux box, in Nano, with AbiWord for word-counts and spellchecking :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:04 am

LXF adheres to the principles of open source and leaves all grammer (sic) and spell checking to peer review :)

I generally write and spell check in Kate and use wc for word counts. When are we going to get a decent text editor with word counts? I would kill for a Linux port of GoldED.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:36 am

http://golded-plus.sourceforge.net

You may've seen that before...

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:24 am

That's a completely different GoldED. I was referring to the Amiga text (and just about everything else) editor. Hell would freeze over before Eilart ever released the source to to that :(
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby andychannelle » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:49 pm

I use Abiword for writing stuff and I use a good old fashioned education for spill chicken. Scribus is pretty good at creating PDFs so should be usable with your average repro house, but there are still a few refinements needed before big publishers make the jump. Perhaps we ought to encourage a university newspaper/fanzine to switch and then follow their progress in the magazine - don't know if that would qualify as professional though...

AndyC
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:05 pm

There are a number of publications being created in Scribus, however, not in this country, mainly in Europe. So it could be possible to follow these (details on scribus site) or better still, use them to persuade a British project to make the switch, guaranteeing them publicity through the mag.

A university or fanzine seems a good idea to me, the quality on some of them these days is a million miles removed from the Punk era!
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby andychannelle » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:16 pm

I'm doing a review of Scribus for Mac Format (attempting to convert the mac masses to FOSS) and I'm surprised at how easy it was to mock up a pretty good rendition of an MF page. I did some of the work in Linux and some in OS-X and experienced no problems swapping stuff between the two. If I were making my own mag, I'd have no hesitation in using it.
Question: If Scribus can sort out a decent implementation of the CMYK colour space, why can't Gimp?
andychannelle
LXF regular

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs