"set JAVA_HOME" - Do what ?????

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

"set JAVA_HOME" - Do what ?????

Postby bigjohn » Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:15 pm

Digging through this months mag and theres an excellent review of "Openlaszlo".

So, I'm trying to get it installed, unfortunately it's showing up some problems with java.

If I try to see what my java is "set" as, with
Code: Select all
echo $JAVA_HOME
all it tells me is this
/usr/lib/jvm/jre

So, with that in mind, I've been into my YaST (I'm currently running SuSE 9.3) and found a version of the java SDK 1.4.2 something or other and installed it using the software manager.

If I then return to the install instructions for OpenLaszlo, to see what happens, I just get a message about the java_home not being "set"

I've been digging around and found some stuff that mentions that it needs to be "set" in the /etc/profile.d

Cosmic! I now know where to set it, but how do i actually do that - I can only find stuff that says there should be some instructions during install, well of course theres not. I didn't get it from Sun, it came via YaST from the SuSE server as an rpm

Maybe someone could advise me how to do this please as I'm bloody clueless!

regards

John
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Postby bigjohn » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:49 am

never mind. I appear to have got this working.

It was as basic as I thought it might be, because although I'd managed to install the java SDK 1.5.0_03 version, I couldn't suss out what I'd need to actually put into a terminal to change things on my system.

To check which java version my system was using, I just had to do
$ java -version
which told me that it was using the 1.5.0_03 version. So then I didn't know what file info to use. This info was given to me by doing
$ which java
which told /usr/bin/java (I'd already spent many an unhappy hour looking through the stuff in /usr/lib to see if anything gave me any clues - it didn't).

So I've ended up putting
$ PATH=$PATH:/usr/bin/java
into the ~./profile file.

Now when I do
$ echo $JAVA_HOME
I'm presented with /usr/lib/jvm/java.

I can't honestly say that I know how I've got to that stage, but right now, I don't give a toss. I'm just happy that I can now start the Openlaszlo as reviewed in this months mag and have a look round (well actually I already have, and as I expect, it's gonna be very over my head - so all the messing around I've done has been a waste of time. Bugger).

regards

John[/quote]
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits
bigjohn
LXF regular

Return to Help!