Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Order of network devices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Order of network devices Reply with quote

Using Fedora core 2, when running system-control-network it shows my eth0 at the top and modem below that. I want to swap them over as the top one is the one which is default ready to connect. How can I change the order?
AudioMove

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:21 am    Post subject: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

it doesnt matter on the order as long as u have which ever one set to default.
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

Sorry, but no cigar.

Selecting the modem, hitting the "advanced" tab and then selecting "make this the default route" does not change the order of the connections in either neat or system-control-network, nor does it affect which of my modem or ethernet card is selected when the dialog box appears.
AudioMove

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

again it doesnt matter on the order. As long as your device works.
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

AudioMove wrote:
again it doesnt matter on the order. As long as your device works.

Here's why the order matters...

The computer I'm trying to do this on is not my own. It's the box I'm sending to someone across the country as a favour. He's kind of old and I've told him how much better Linux is yadda yadda as he 's always complaining about the condition of his (frankly) clapped out Win98 box.

My box is fine as far as the order goes. His one has detected devices in the other order.

After converting a few Windows users to Linux I can pretty well guarantee that he will say... "Hey thanks. This box is great. Just one thing. I find it annoying that I have to do so many extra clicks just to get dial up. Windows was never this hard".

Are you suggesting I tell him that "Linux cannot do it therefore it does not matter"?

As far as he is concerned, the ONE thing that appears awkward will be the ONLY thing that matters.

Believe me - I've seen Windows migrants totally ditch Linux because they failed to get flash or Java working in their web browsers. A few mouse clicks may not matter to you, but it does to them.

Therefore it matters to me. Normally I don't give all the circumstantial details (as above and why should I have to?) because then who would bother to read the question? Don't tell me my question does not matter.

So, back onto the question... where are all the hackers, like risc who used to hang out on this forum (I'm going back a few years) who used to enjoy the challenge of finding which root-access config file needs to be tweaked simply because "it is there and therefore can be done"?

Back onto the question... does anyone know how to change the order please?
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

Have no idea and have never used Fedora. Can you remove the first one and let it be reinstalled later or even disable eth0 if it is not being used? I will have a play later and Google for an answer. Beyond that, no idea.

Erin
AudioMove

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Order of network devices Reply with quote

you enable ehichever one you want to use, i dont think it can magicly guess which one u want to use and set that one to default ur gonna have to do it urself, as far as i know.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: