Problem registering/using my NTL cable modem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Problem registering/using my NTL cable modem

Postby Coume » Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:19 pm

Hello,

Ok, so I had to finally subscribe to NTL since my landlord did not accept that I install BT in my room… Anyway, here is my problem…

If I plug the modem using eth, I can see an IP being assign to eth using ifconfig and that seems fine. I can ping stuff, ie: google.com but I can’t visit google.com

I then found out that I had to register the modem online which I managed to do and went fine using Firefox and linux(I don’t have any windows box to easy the process)
I’m still able to ping but not to visit websites. I checked my resolv.conf and it uses the 2 appropriate NS.

While registering it gave me, my login and password… I guess I need to use them to grant my access, but where can I do so? Where should I enter these information? If it is relevant, I use Gentoo.

Thanks in advance for your answers!!!
Ludo
http://www.mythTVtalk.com - Where the World comes to speak about MythTV!
Hundreds of MythTV users already joined the community! What are you waiting to be the next one?
Coume

RE: Problem registering/using my NTL cable modem

Postby nelz » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:45 pm

I just plugged in my modem and let DHCP set everything up. The only time i need the login/password is to collect email.

Knowing NTL, the problem is most likely at their end. Do you know anyone with a windows laptop? If you could plug that in and it still doesn't work, you can phone NTL's "support" line.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Problem registering/using my NTL cable modem

Postby pau1ie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:17 pm

Afraid I cant really help either. I just set up the connection using windows and the rather bloated installer they give you, and then have used linux and freebsd with no trouble.
pau1ie

Postby Coume » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 pm

Hello,

thanks for answering.
I guess it was an NTL problem, because yesterday I played around for ages... let it have a rest all night and tonight after work, I just had to plug the eth cable and it worked with the same config.

Now I have to find out why my Netgear wifi router won't accept the ntl:250 as Internet modem provider... but at least I'm able to check my emails from home and will be able to work again on my website too :)

Thanks
Ludo
http://www.mythTVtalk.com - Where the World comes to speak about MythTV!
Hundreds of MythTV users already joined the community! What are you waiting to be the next one?
Coume

Postby Erin » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:58 pm

Hmmm NTL. A poor choice of comms companies. Keep an eye on your wallet and hope nothing goes wrong with the service/hardware. They are....

You may find it is NTL that isn't accepting your WiFi router. When I had NTL (long since gone), you had to register the MAC address of your public device with them. If you have not registered the MAC addy of your WiFi router, then just spoof it with the MAC address of the correctly registered network device you used. Or, you can register another MAC address by going through the same process as when you first joined. Don't forget to reboot the set-top box or modem 1000 times either to synch it all.

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:05 am

I signed up with NTL broadband before I switched to Linux. The Disc runs under various version of Windows and takes you to a site where you register. If you type this site into your browser, you should be able to complete your registration.

No use asking NTL they will say they don't support Linux. But I did see some stuff on the Web about starting up your NTL broadband from Linux some time ago. Try Google...
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:58 am

davecs wrote:I signed up with NTL broadband before I switched to Linux. The Disc runs under various version of Windows and takes you to a site where you register. If you type this site into your browser, you should be able to complete your registration.

The paper documentation in the disc case has the URL of this page, you don't need to use the disc.
nelz
Site admin

Postby Ram » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:49 pm

Erin wrote:Hmmm NTL. A poor choice of comms companies. Keep an eye on your wallet and hope nothing goes wrong with the service/hardware. They are....

You may find it is NTL that isn't accepting your WiFi router. When I had NTL (long since gone), you had to register the MAC address of your public device with them. If you have not registered the MAC addy of your WiFi router, then just spoof it with the MAC address of the correctly registered network device you used. Or, you can register another MAC address by going through the same process as when you first joined. Don't forget to reboot the set-top box or modem 1000 times either to synch it all.

Erin

No need to spoof the MAC, never had to in 4 yrs of using a Netgear RP114 can't see why a WiFi would need to.

Ram.
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Erin » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:14 pm

The URL used to be start.ntl

You spoof the MAC address if you registered using a PC, i.e. NTL did it for you, and you don't want or cannot register the genuine router MAC address. You do if you need to and don't if you don't!

Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby davecs » Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:43 pm

I thought it was Telewest that did security via the Mac address. I just plug anything into my cable and it works.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Help!