a new thread for 1sf (troll)

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

a new thread for 1sf (troll)

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:59 am

Is posting in this forum the only way to keep 1sf (troll) out of the serious ones?
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: a new thread for 1sf (troll)

Postby Rhakios » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:08 am

The idea that we might have to feed 1sf (troll) little treats in the off-topic section, just to keep him from posting drivel elsewhere in the forum, is a little odd. Is he a small child that needs to be kept distracted to stop him from misbehaving....?

I didn't really think about that question before asking it, did I? :oops:

Okay wylie, but perhaps you'll need to include something about fish or how rubbish Mandriva is to get him in here.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Rhakios » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:09 am

Oh hang on, this should keep him occupied, (infantile) MS-lover that he is. ;)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:48 am

All of that looks a bit too intellectual for the slimy1 :roll:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Nearly 12 hours and no 1sf (troll)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:43 pm

It's way past his bedtime now :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby lok1950 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:34 am

No just confused too many shiny new toys :lol:

Enjoy the Choice :)
lok1950
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:36 pm

Speaking of shiny new toys, my old laptop (let's call it Thermo, I seem to recall some people in here find computers easier to understand if they have a name), Thermo, died some weeks ago. The kitchen seems so quiet without his dust collecting drone.

I hinted to my wife that a shiny new EEE (or is that an Eee?) might be just the thing to replace Thermo, and low and behold, two weeks later, she brought home a shiny new 17" Widescreen, Core 2, Nvidia 8, full-sized keyboard with numberpad, notebook.

Shiny New Toy Heaven.

Anyway, it came, as these things so frequently do, with Vista Home Premium. I thought I'd give it a proper look (e.g. instead of becoming infuriated with the need to constantly confirm everything while reorganizing the start menu and going back to KDE, I learned about User Account Control).
Anyway, I've given it a proper look, and I've used a virtual machine to build a new Gentoo installation to copy across.

But.

Actually.

I quite like Vista.

[Runs for cover like John Cleese's Maitre'd, after he gives Mr Creosote the wafer-thin mint.]

[Shouts from behind plants:]

Maybe when KDE4 hits the stable branch of x86 in Portage I'll get another 2.5" sata drive to go in the second drive bay (yes, it has two drive bays).

[Emboldened, stands up.]

Till then, even though it's a notebook running Vista, it's also running Palm Desktop, and Documents to Go, and Mathcad, and FirstClass (which has a Linux version, though I've never tried it), and Premiere Elements, and for time wasting it runs Guild Wars, and Oblivion, and Winnie The Pooh Preschool, and BBCiPlayer, and 4oD - all without tweaking any configuration files, or paying for third-party compatability layers.

Now, apart from Notepad++, can anyone recommend software development software to run on Vista? 1sf (troll)?

[Ducks down again.]
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:53 pm

Dunno'bout Vi$ta, but I do know you are one sick puppy Pootman! You really need an urgent appointment with dr Stallman to get rid of this nasty virus ;)
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Re: RE: a new thread for 1sf (troll)

Postby Marrea » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:27 pm

pootman wrote: ... and low and behold, two weeks later, she brought home a shiny new 17" Widescreen, Core 2, Nvidia 8, full-sized keyboard with numberpad, notebook.

Wow! You have one heck of a wife there, if she brings home things like that. :D
Marrea
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: a new thread for 1sf (troll)

Postby pootman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:26 pm

Physically, the symptoms are quite bearable, but it's an embarrassing thing to admit to anyone. This must be how people who buy JML products feel.

The wife's a keeper, that's for sure.
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:43 pm

pootman wrote:Now, apart from Notepad++, can anyone recommend software development software to run on Vista? 1sf (troll)?

[Ducks down again.]

The LXF team seem to recommend something called Visual C# Express for Mono development, but I can't say I've tried it.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:48 pm

pootman wrote:But.

Actually.

I quite like Vista.

Don't worry, you` ll get over it.

So far, all the installs of Vista I have seen are really, slow, so I don't suppose that is fair, but the fact that I would have to spend about £40,000 on hardware to upgrade our network to it is not an incentive. (plus a lot of our software won't run on it, and the problems of teaching users who only just about manage to use XP- shudder)

In fact we have just received one Vista ultimate license and 10 business licenses as part of our MS partner subscription, so I am going to have to install it somewhere, just to be ready to support it when our customers start using it.
In the business world, it still seems to be a rare beast.
In fact, I have seen more Linux and Mac computers in the last 12 months than Vi$ta, and I sometimes work on 3 or 4 different business networks in a day.

Office 2007 is our biggest problem, I like some of the features, but those I don't can't be turned off, mind you, it is still a rare beast, just more prolific than Vi$ta (and generally less popular!). :-(

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby pootman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:16 pm

I'm sure I will. These things just take time. So far I've only seen it freeze twice, and hang five times (about a minute each).

Anyway, I was wondering the other day (while I was building the virtual Gentoo) and seeing C# just reminded me, how does anyone pronounce "|"?
I suppose it must have a proper name but I don't know what it is. I just think of it as pipe.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Hey wylie, I don't know if you noticed, but 1sf (troll) was lurking around earlier this evening, but he hasn't taken the bait. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Next

Return to Off Topic