internet through d-link router-modem

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

internet through d-link router-modem

Postby Philippe » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:25 am

Hey ppl!
I bought myself a dsl router-modem d-link 502T becuz ppl said that router-modems were just plug and play in linux...

I configured my conection "inside" the router and it now works automatically in windows but not yet in linux, i would like to know how to get my dsl active in my mandriva LE2005.

i managed to get the eth0 network up in static mode but there's no internet and I was said that it had to be in DHCP mode.

i've been struglin to get my linux net up since last year!

plzzz help! :cry:
Philippe

RE: internet through d-link router-modem

Postby A-Wing » Mon Jul 18, 2005 6:55 am

eth0 up in static mode kinda means nothing as it doesn't try and get any settings from any kind of broadcast, I can get a broken driver working in static mode easily. You probably can get it working in static mode, but you would need to know things like the gateway and DNS server settings (usually both 192.168.0.1). It should however work fine in DHCP mode in Mandriva, if it can't find an IP address doing this then I would look at whether the card was Linux compatible or now.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Philippe » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:05 am

I thought that all router ethernet devices were linux compatible?!
my vendors info says that the router's ip is 192.168.1.1
Philippe

Postby A-Wing » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:16 am

As far as I am aware, they are, but not 100% of ethernet cards are linux compatible.
You might also want to make sure you haven't got a firewire port or something else that will pretend to be eth0.
If you could also post a dmesg or /var/log/messages from when you try to do a DHCP eth0 start that would help.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Erin » Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:02 pm

Hmm, DHCP is platform independant. If you set your PC to be static, you need to use the address range the router is expecting, normally something like 192.168.1.2 with a mask of 255.255.255.0. You also need to set the gateway to your router IP address (192.168.1.1) and set your DNS settings to those of your ISP.

The easy way is to select DHCP for your PC's NIC. It would allow your settings for your PC to be automagically set for you. It is better for security but bad if you need to fix ports for things suh as aMule.

Anyway, post so more info and we can be of more help. Remember, Ethernet [sic] Routers are compatible. The software used to change the settings might not be but networking functionality is not dependant on a certain platform.

Regards Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Return to Help!