dual soundcards...?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

dual soundcards...?

Postby hairymunky » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:41 pm

My daughter has been using Audacity lately, as well as the Hydrogen drum machine. My soundcard isnt able to record and playback simultaneously (so she can hear the other tracks while recording the guitar). All she ends up with is parts of the guitar being recorded! Ive promised to try and fix it so she can jam away to her hearts content...

Can I install another soundcard that I can use for input, and use my current soundcard for output...? Or is there another method that I should be trying....?
(Ive got a few old soundcards in the computer graveyard cupboard that I can use)

Any help much appreciated...
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

RE: dual soundcards...?

Postby davecs » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:02 pm

You could of course see if any of the cards in the graveyard work duplex!

Other than that, it is possible, but most distros won't help you set it up through their GUI interfaces. I seem to remember that Gentoo had some decent stuff on their site about setting up ALSA with more than one soundcard, might well be worth a visit. You would, of course, have to adapt the data for your own computer, but the prociples will be the same.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Return to Help!