Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80 gb drive won't format (sorry, i'm a noob)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kiganshee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: 80 gb drive won't format (sorry, i'm a noob) Reply with quote

I am attempting to install Fedora Core 4 on an old IBM Netvista x40i (all-in-one... blah...). The BIOS is subject to the 32gb limit, but the Maxtor 80gb drive has a 32 gb limit jumper setting which I am using. The FC4 installer recognizes the drive as 80gb but so far I have been unable to format all of it.

The first install of FC4 that i ran had a 100mb /boot, a 10 gb root, a swap partition, and a 4 gb /home partition setup. I then tried to use the FC4 lv management GUI to add another partition -- a 30gb /music partition. I got back a sort of permission denied error (even though I had obviously had to enter the root password to acces the GUI). The error message was something like:
mkfs unable to stat /dev/fedoravg/music -- Permission Denied
the GUI subsequently recognized that i had created a logical volume, but it wasn't formatted and i couldn't access it at all. it showed up in an lvdisplay command but not on a df -k.

Being a noob, I decided that since I had just installed FC4, I should go back through and just use disk druid from the beginning to create my 30 gb /music partition. It formats all my other partitions fine (I used the initial lv setup plus the /music), then hangs about 1/8 of the way through the /music partition formatting.

On my last install try, I decided to mess around with it a little bit and not create the /music partition, but instead go with an expanded 40 gb /home partition. Sure enough, the formatting of the /home partition hung in the same place as the /music partiton had. I am assuming it is just unable to begin the formatting of the partition that will throw the overall size over 32 gb. All partitions are formatted as ext3.

Maxtor also publishes an "ezbios" software that is supposed to be a good size limit fix, a copy came with my HD. I uninstalled it because it was conflicting with the FC4 installer. Should I put that back on?

What should I do? I am definitely at the end of my limited rope and don't know what to try next. I'd like to get this done so I can start wrestling with my wireless card.

I guess as a final note, which shouldn't affect anything, the internal CD drive on this system broke down, so I am running it with the case open and a friend's full-size CD drive plugged into the IDE for the original cd drive.

thanks so much

Chapman
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:27 pm    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

The 32GB Jumper, what is that? What does it do?
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

It is a nasty little thing (or is that just maxtor drives in general Smile ) that caps the hdd at 32GB to fool the BIOS, it often breaks things. If EZ-BIOS won't work then the only thing I can suggest is an offboard control (like a PCI raid card)
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:06 am    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

I wonder if it would work if you removed the 32Gb jumper ?
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Linux bypasses the BIOS when addressing disks - perhaps someone could confirm this - so that as long as you have a /boot partition of less than 32Gb at the start of the drive you will be OK.

Another option :
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/23/2004/05/3/183447

or perhaps this :
https://www.redhat.com/archives/guinness-list/2001-April/msg00842.html

Nigel.
Kiganshee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:08 am    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

Blah. I should have done more research as opposed to what was just on sale, esp. since i have been planning on converting this machine to linux for a while. The wireless card's chipset is also not currently supported under linux, so i might have to do a driver-wrapping setup that I was reading about.

In any case, putting in a raid card won't really work because the stupid computer is all-in-one, so there is little space for the wiring, plus the raid card might be too big for the "low profile PCI slot". Talk about all the disadvantages of a laptop with none of the advantages of a desktop.

I'm giving the ezbios a shot (and hoping to god that this is a software issue fixed by ezbios). But are there any options besides staying below 32 gb on the drive? I was really hoping to finally have a large disk....

thanks

Chapman
Kiganshee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

OK! Got it to work with ezbios, after a bit of working on it.

EZBios allows me to format the later partitions. My dad did some research online and it said the ezbios/FC4 fighting issue was resolved by starting the installer with the command "linux hda=remap" which apparrently tells linux to start reading the drive after the point where ezbios has installed itself. So, EZBios allows me to format partitions beyond the 32gb point on the drive, but when I try to set up a /boot partition, a swap, and a logical volume group with the 10gb root, 10 gb home, a 30gb /music and a lot of free space, I get an error in the FC4 installer. I didn't look very much into this error, but it was an error the logical volume manager got trying to load the partition set aside for the volume group. I tried setting all the partitions up on the disk as physical volumes. With this setup:
/boot 100mb hda1
/ 10gb hda2
/home 10 gb hda3
extended - hda4
/space 58-odd gb hda5
swap 1 gb
i was able to finish the FC4 installer, and everything seemed to be happy.
on reboot, I got this:
Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
Red hat nash version 4.2.15 starting
mkrootdev: label /1 not found
mount: error 2 mounting ext3
ERROR opening /dev/console!!!: 2
error dup2'ing fd of 0 to 0
..............................to 1
..............................to 2
switchroot: mount failed: 22
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

this ended up being a symptom of needing to put hda=remap in the kernel call in the boot sequence. I did that from the linux rescue and am now running FC4 with an 80gb drive!
Now to get my wireless card to work...

thanks everyone!

Chapman
barneygovan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

ndiswrapper worked a treat for my Linksys wireless card.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

Quote:
The first install of FC4 that i ran had a 100mb /boot, a 10 gb root, a swap partition, and a 4 gb /home partition setup.

Your swap is extravagantly huge (1/2 gig is more than enough) and your allocation of space to / and /home is back to front. I very much doubt if you'd need more than 5Gb for /, while /home is where all your data will reside.

WTH, that's for your next install. Glad you got there.

One trick which does work well with drives larger than the bios limit is to simply trick the bios by telling it that the drive is much smaller than it is: generally, you can find some configuration (perhaps stealing it off the old drive, although some manufacturer's sites give details).
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

fingers99 wrote:
Quote:
The first install of FC4 that i ran had a 100mb /boot, a 10 gb root, a swap partition, and a 4 gb /home partition setup.

Your swap is extravagantly huge (1/2 gig is more than enough) and your allocation of space to / and /home is back to front. I very much doubt if you'd need more than 5Gb for /, while /home is where all your data will reside.

Where did he state the swap size? I would generally say 1GB swap is standard for todays machines (although with 512MB RAM I barely touch the swap). I would say 8GB for / to be safe (extra RPMs, build space, logs/mail, etc...). I have filled a 5GB / quite easily before.
Kiganshee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

Ok i have a new (probably very quick) question about installing a kernel source that I have downloaded. I got the ndiswrapper from sourceforge, and their wiki says my wireless card is 100% supported. Sweet. So I downloaded it, but my kernel is configured for 4K stack size, and I need a larger stack to run the ndis drivers. Not knowing where the CONFIG_4KSTACKS is located in the kernel, I found a FC4 i586 2.6.12 kernel with a 16K stack size here:
http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/full/downloads-fc4-kernel-i586.php

i installed the kernel using rpm -i and am running it fine, but ndiswrapper needs the kernel source. i downloaded the corresponding source from the same website, and have tried to install it using rpm -i. it wants to install it into /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES instead of /usr/src/kernels, so I let it... figuring I would make symbolic links as necessary. Unfortunately, the kernel source as it is unpacked by RPM is in a drastically different format than the one that came with FC4... there isn't even a makefile! It's just a huge list of .config and .patch files. When i have tried to query and erase the package using rpm -q and rpm -e, it tells me that the package is not installed, even though I installed it not 30 seconds earlier. I assume that I am using the wrong flags on rpm installing the kernel source, but have been unable to find anything through my googling. All support pages I have found assume that my kernel source comes .tar.gz-ed... what is the deal? What am I doing wrong?

thanks so much

Chapman
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

You don't need the kernel source rpm for ndiswrapper, just the kernel-headers rpm.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

Sorry, meant you only need kernel-devel.
Source RPMs are installed just by extracting, they are not added to the RPM database so cannot be removed unless you rm -rf them.
Kiganshee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

Ok, so the kernel devleopment package was what i needed, thanks... I followed the ndiswrapper installation wiki up until the point where I was told to "configure the network parameters for interface wlan0" which vary from distribution to distribution. I don't know what these are and again my googling hasn't turned up anything. I've tried the "networking" gui that fedora core 4(gnome) has, but I can't tell it that I want to install the interface "wlan0" -- my only options are eth1 through eth7. Plus, I apparrently need to configure my default firewall to allow wlan0 through, but I can't find a firewall setting gui or anything either. I have a feeling that once I set up the network parameters for wlan0, the firewall will let it though. I can read manpages and everything, I just don't have any idea what the command I am looking for might be called.

On the plus side, I can see my access point with "iwlist wlan0 scan", so the drivers and everything are working, and I am connected when I run "iwconfig wlan0". I have found a few good all-around howto sites, (none of them has anything too specific to say about this), but if ppl could recommend some of those too I could start checking them before posting.

Thanks!

Chapman
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

With Fedora you can use the net config (Desktop - System Settings - Network). In this click 'new' and 'wireless connection' then 'Forward'. If at this point you don't see ndiswrapper something has gone wrong. Select it and the rest should be pretty simple. Click activate on it at the end and it all should start working
fingers99
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: 80 gb drive won Reply with quote

A-Wing wrote:

Where did he state the swap size?
On about the 5th or 6th posting......
A-Wing wrote:
I would generally say 1GB swap is standard for todays machines (although with 512MB RAM I barely touch the swap).
No. Were you running a modern machine with lots of RAM and a 2.2 kernel, I might agree with you. The ancient wisdom used to be that swap should equal 2.5 X the RAM. The argument with modern kernels is whether to have swap or not, as anything with 1/2 gig, let alone a gig of RAM should run fine without swap (I'm cautious -- I'd argue that it'll run better with some swap).
A-Wing wrote:
I would say 8GB for / to be safe (extra RPMs, build space, logs/mail, etc...). I have filled a 5GB / quite easily before.

Well, if you're keeping the rpms, maybe.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: