Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Popularity

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Popularity Reply with quote

I find myself mildly fascinated by the relationship between the length of a thread and the number of views. Some threads seem to have more views than their length ought to suggest.

For instance, the "popularity poll for 1sf (troll)" has 85 replies, but only 8499 reads, while "On the wearing of beards" has only 56 replies, but 10,177 reads. Now, you might think this is explicable in terms of public interest in 1sf (troll) compared to beards, but then "Which satnav system for Europe?" has no replies, but 1666 views for what is an unanswered question, while "Colin Macrae is dead" has one reply, but only 610 views.

I suppose I could compile a list with the proportion of replies to reads for each thread in Off Topic, or at least for the first page, but it's getting a bit late.

Nevertheless, one would expect a thread with more replies to have more reads as the posters keep up with the thread, but why do some threads get read more than others anyway? What makes a thread interesting to others, but not something they want to reply to?

Edit: Your replies or reads are not necessarily sought Wink
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: RE: Popularity Reply with quote

Spot of insomnia tonight, is it?
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:19 am    Post subject: RE: Popularity Reply with quote

Now you mention it though, the number of views for threads which are so obviously spam - with no replies - is really amazing. There must be people out there who think that there's just not enough advertising on the internet.
Perhaps you need some more sponsored advertising on the site. Maybe you could sell 'advertising threads'?
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to read articles for one of 4 reasons

1. If it looks like a technical issue which might have some relevance for me, in which case I'm probably a reader and won't write, but I will revisit until it's resolved.

2. If it looks like a technical issue which I might be able to help answer, in which case I'll write but not revisit if it looks like the problem is resolved.

3. If it looks like something that will bring a bit of happiness or a diversion to my drab existence, I might write, but will only revisit if it looks like it's going to be entertaining.

4. If the title is so obscure as to arouse my interest, my response will be as 3 above.

Everythign else gets ignored, and I also tend to ingore posts once they degenerate into a fish slapping contest (as many do, this one is already on the way).

This one falls into category 4, as do some SPAM posts, although most just get ignored.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Popularity Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Nevertheless, one would expect a thread with more replies to have more reads as the posters keep up with the thread, but why do some threads get read more than others anyway? What makes a thread interesting to others, but not something they want to reply to?

Some threads are of limited interest, so while two or three posters may be keeping the thread going, no one else is really interested and doesn't bother to look in any more.

Some threads turn up in FWSE searches, so they get read by people who don't usually visit the forums, have no accounts and cannot post anyway. Many of the thread in Help continue long after the original question was answered... or even remembered.
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pin it down to RSS feeds of the forums. I read them as I'm too lazy to use my browser. Just one extra post has the thread relisted in the feed so that certainly ups the views.

Do search bots increase the view count also?
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! How come my rss feed only notifies me of new topics?
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure. I'm using Thunderbird. By adding this post, I can now look forward to getting this thread syndicated to me again! Wink For what it's worth, I think TB does an awful job at managing RSS feeds. Often have to close and open it again just to get new feeds; the 'get mail' for news and blogs rarely works.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Popularity Reply with quote

pootman wrote:
Spot of insomnia tonight, is it?

Not quite, it's just something I've noticed before and I finally snapped and decided to post.

nelz

I'd thought about that, which is why I was limiting my attention to the Off Topic forum. It's hard to believe that many of the things posted here would end up as a common search result. Of course I could be wrong, there might be lots of geeks worried about their beards. Smile
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or not?

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There goes the neighborhood

pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Describing Thunderbird as an awful feed reader is generous, I'd go so far as to call it abominable. Liferea is okay if you're stuck in gnome hell, but when I came back from holiday to find a couple of thousand entries, it stopped my system almost dead for a minute and a half when I clicked mark all as read. Akregator for KDE seems to cope much better with dropping unread items.

Look Wylie, Paul is clearly making an effort here, so try to be a bit more patient. Didn't you see the punctuation he used?
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10... <insert taking-deep-breath-smiley>

If only he used some kapitals too Rolling Eyes

Oh well, it's a start. Now let's see how well he can keep that up... One swallow doesn't make summer as we say here... Wink
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i suppose i don't mind using Kapitals as long as i don't have to use gnapitals(and i think you know why Very Happy )
paul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: