KDE just seems to hang! [SOLVED]

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

KDE just seems to hang! [SOLVED]

Postby percyt » Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:46 pm

Right - got the xorgconfig setup correctly and startx gave me a few shell screens so I went onto installing KDE.

As the magazine says I ran:-

emerge kde -av (which took forever!!!)

then updated /etc/rc.conf to include kdm for the display manager

then

rc-update add xdm default

to run on boot up.

Rebooted the pc and it went straight into kde, asked me for a login and then popped up this window:-

Session Menu

chooseSessionListWidget

Load Session | Delete Session | Break Lock | Default/Fail Safe | Cancel

The only options are default/fail safe and cancel - cancel takes me back to the login and default/fail safe clears this window and then does nothing.
There's no hard disk movemen, nothing! The mouse still moves but no key presses, mouse clicks do anything - I have to physically power it off and then back on.

Any ideas?

TIA
Last edited by percyt on Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
percyt

RE: KDE just seems to hang!

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Did you put
Code: Select all
XSESSION="kde"

in /etc/rc.conf? If not, you may need to select a session type fro the KDE login window. It looks like it may be complaining that you haven't selected a session.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby percyt » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:40 pm

Right - I need to look at that but as all the screen displays now is a flashing low-res desktop I can't get onto the pc.

I can't CTRL ALT F'anything' to get to another desktop as it just won't do anything!!

Is there a way of crashing out of KDE?
percyt

Postby nelz » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:54 pm

Add
softlevel=single

to your kernel line in GRUB (press e to edit it, make the changes then press b to boot it). That will start you without X. then do
rc-update del xdm

to prevent X starting on bootup.

You really shouldn't have added xdm to the default runlevel until you had tested it, but I guess you've realised that now :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: KDE just seems to hang!

Postby davecs » Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:24 pm

percyt wrote:The mouse still moves but no key presses, mouse clicks do anything - I have to physically power it off and then back on.

Any ideas?

TIA

I take it you have a 3D system like nvidia or ati. Search the net, you will find loads about it. I myself started a thread on it here:

http://linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=301

The really weird thing is that I rebuilt the same componenets onto a different motherboard and it stopped!

If you are using nvidia graphics, and you don't actually need 3D acceleration, change the video driver from "nvidia" to "nv" in the file "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

When the freeze occurs, try this:

Holding down ALT and SYSRQ, press in turn, with a few seconds wait, S, U and B. If your kernel has "Magic SysRq" enabled, it won't prevent a reboot, but at least it will be a clean reboot.

ALT+SYSRQ+S = Synchronise Disks
ALT+SYSRQ+U = Unmount Disks
ALT+SYSRQ+B = Reboot.

Hope this helps.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

RE: Re: KDE just seems to hang!

Postby percyt » Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:10 pm

Managed to get to rc.conf and amend it - it works ok now!!

Now I want to do a fresh install of 3.4 - but i'll start another thread.
percyt

Return to Help!