The website is slooooooooooow

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby sirrondach » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:32 am

Speed is great using Broadband (with IE on XP box till I get home!)
sirrondach

Postby towy71 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:53 pm

My broadband has just benn enabled and the site fairly zips now ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Erin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:42 pm

Firefox on Debian with 1Mbps Telewest... pauses experienced. However, these are due to ad.doubleclick.net and not the site itself it seems. Good work all those involved with the site upgrade and I would like an orange theme back. I liked it anyway.

Regards Erin
Just beneath my skin I'm screaming. Faithless::Insomnia.
Dual PIII 550 with Ubuntu [semi-bleeding].
Erin
LXF regular

Postby fingers99 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:12 pm

Blisteringly fax in Firefox today (on dial up) with javascript disabled.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:29 pm

Erin wrote:Firefox on Debian with 1Mbps Telewest... pauses experienced. However, these are due to ad.doubleclick.net and not the site itself it seems. Good work all those involved with the site upgrade and I would like an orange theme back. I liked it anyway.

Regards Erin

Ha! You might pretend to be Erin, but your spelling is far too good and I don't believe he would have asked for the return of the dreaded orange theme.

:D
Rhakios

Postby guy » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:34 pm

Erin wrote:Firefox on Debian with 1Mbps Telewest... pauses experienced. However, these are due to ad.doubleclick.net and not the site itself it seems.

H'mm. I wonder how many other slow experiences are due to not having Firefox-type ad blocking set up effectively.

Cheers,
Guy
guy
LXF regular

Postby Erin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:38 pm

Rhakios wrote:
Erin wrote:Firefox on Debian with 1Mbps Telewest... pauses experienced. However, these are due to ad.doubleclick.net and not the site itself it seems. Good work all those involved with the site upgrade and I would like an orange theme back. I liked it anyway.

Regards Erin

Ha! You might pretend to be Erin, but your spelling is far too good and I don't believe he would have asked for the return of the dreaded orange theme.

:D

Hello Rhakios. Well it most certainly is the Erin of old. Think it must be that awful 8hr/day 'W' thing that's helping with the spelling. Much prefer orange to blue. Blue reminds me too much of Redmond!

Erin
Erin
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 pm

Hmm, I think mange to spoll rasonbly wel on 8 1/2 hours a day.

It's good to see so many of the old crowd back :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby lxfadmin » Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:34 pm

Right, I make that at least three votes for an orange theme so far... :P
lxfadmin

Postby mikejd » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:15 pm

I've found it's slow on Opera 7.54 and also not much faster on Firefox. It's still better than it used to be.

It seems to start opening then hang for a while before anything shows. The ads and images are then slow to load.

I guess it won't stop me visiting as it used to be the most useful Linux forum.

Cheers,
Mike
mikejd
LXF regular

Postby evilnick » Fri Apr 08, 2005 5:55 pm

Well, all I can do is assure you that the speed problems aren't related to the server. I tweaked the database a little more so it should be even faster now.

The ads have often been something of an issue, but on a good browser, won't stop the rest of the page loading.
evilnick

Postby nordle » Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:07 pm

WOW, this is more like it, stuff has finished loading even before the mouse button has returned to its normal position. OK, nobody is allowed to post anything, no causing the system to slow down due to stupid posts ;)

I was checking back every few days since it went down, each time thinking just maybe, but no, then wondering if it was down for good. Glad to see you guys/gals back, faster, brighter and decked out with new buttons which means new features, nice.

Well done LXF!
nordle
LXF regular

Postby ripleyscat » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:00 pm

Good to see LXF back up and running. It loads nice and fast from FF with ad-blocker
ripleyscat

Postby chickens_are_good » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:12 pm

my konqueror on suse 9.2 with 256/64k ADSL seems fine, and i don't think the ads would make much difference - there's only two per page. Actually, just looking at other sites opening, this site seems to be loading quite fast - about a second to fully load.
chickens_are_good

Postby ticktock » Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:13 am

About 20 seconds on Mozilla with the ads showing. So I need to change my browser to get this site working smoothly. Yeah that must be it. Rest of Internet is wrong. My browser is bad. This site is good. Or maybe.....
ticktock

PreviousNext

Return to This Website