Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Uni's "Upgrade"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: The Uni's "Upgrade" Reply with quote

Over the summer, the uni thought it would try and show off, by replacing all the machines with slightly higher spec ones, and making the "inevitable upgrade" to Vista. They didnt just do this with a couple labs, but with the entire computing department (except for lecturer's computers).

The problems:

-When you use an individual machine for the first time, it takes 20 minutes to LOG IN - not boot up from cold, but just a login to the user's account. Thats one heck of a chunk of practical/tutorial gone.

-Deleting 37.8MB of files apparently takes 47839 years.

-Cancelling the "delete" prompt causes the title to change to "cancelling", which took a further 5 minutes before it went away (when I got fed up and just pressed reset).

-Saving an hour's work to a thumb drive in Photoshop crashed all of Windows, and corrupted the thumb drive, losing potentially weeks of work (lucky I keep a backup).

Ask the tech's about it, and they say "It should get better with service pack 1". So, why on earth didnt they wait for that in the first place? That way we can still use the machines without worrying if they will suddenly crash for sod all reason.

Now, most lecturers ive spoken to say the same thing - "It was a BIG mistake". Yet the people who push the money around dont seem to agree (despite them not being the ones to have to use these machines).

Ive stopped it being my problem by bringing in a Laptop (or just staying home and downloading the notes and getting on with it), but its shocking just how, hundreds of people can be dictated to, no matter what trouble it causes them - it seems no one these days will stand up for themselves and voice their opinion - rather, they just put up with it. I have made my opinion known to them, but it fell on death ears. A few others did the same, and one managed to get a reply, asking for him to go alone to meet with one of the tech's so he can be told "the facts". Umm, ok, try telling us that these machines are actually running super fast, AFTER ive sat here for 20 minutes waiting for it to just ruddy login.

The only other rant (if you've read this far - well, even if you havent, but thanks for reading Smile) - the Aero interface just feels so awful busy and distracts from what you are actually trying to do. They dont allow you to change to the classic theme. The name is very mis-leading - hearing "Windows Vista" you may think you are going to have a visual treat, not a headache.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain -- Novell Netware with distributed applications and profiles that are reset on each login aren't much better ...

Anyway, they should have waited for at least SP1 and for the launch of Windows Server 2008. I'm sure Server 2003 can handle it but it's nicer to keep the server OS paired with the client OS. I hope they got reduced prices on the cost of the licences Razz
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they use roaming profiles? That could explain the slow login, and other things if the user's profile is stored on a server.
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think they are roaming - well, I dont really know. Your documents, desktop icons etc are stored on the network, and I think thats all. Havent really tried as it restricts pretty much everything personalisable.

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the last 2 days at a Microsoft "Gold" partner training centre, learning a document management package.
Trainer:"Vista is rubbish!"

Well, yes.

Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diagmato wrote:
I dont think they are roaming - well, I dont really know. Your documents, desktop icons etc are stored on the network, and I think thats all. Havent really tried as it restricts pretty much everything personalisable.

Which would suggest that it's roaming Smile

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
MartyBartfast
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could form the CLF (a bit like the Animal Liberation Front but for computers), we could then do a midnight raid on the uni derssed in balaclavas etc, and liberate all their PCs by installing Linux on them. The only danger here would be we'd end up splitting into distro factions a-la The Judean People's Front, The People's Front of Judea, and The Popular Front of Judea (which would be 1sf (troll) sitting on his own on the other side of the arena with his Mandriva CDs Wink )
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
Diagmato wrote:

Which would suggest that it's roaming Smile

Afaik, there was a seperate setting for Roaming mode in older versions, but for Vista, your desktop icons, application settings, documents etc are all stored in C:\Users\Username (but can be changed to another location, e.g a network drive). Rather than just having the option to store "My Documents" in another location.

Another headache about the uni, but this time to do with Linux - most machines dual boot with Ubuntu, and we have an assignment which requires the use of Ubuntu - umm, well, last week, one of the linux admins thought he would install the latest Fedora - so for those who have a screaming fit about installing a new operating system at home, how are they supposed to do the assignment? It just seems as if an admin tried Fedora for a moment, got excited, and bunged it on roughly 200 machines only to not have the time to make sure they could all see each other on the network (cant login, the login screen doesnt list anyone, etc).

Quote:
Maybe we could form the CLF (a bit like the Animal Liberation Front but for computers), we could then do a midnight raid on the uni derssed in balaclavas etc, and liberate all their PCs by installing Linux on them. The only danger here would be we'd end up splitting into distro factions a-la The Judean People's Front, The People's Front of Judea, and The Popular Front of Judea (which would be 1sf (troll) sitting on his own on the other side of the arena with his Mandriva CDs )

That job is already done Wink thanks to one of the staff being a huge fan of Linux - I should have mentioned that earlier though. Although I would love to see their face if they were no longer dual booting machines :p.

pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think of the whole thing as a great educational opportunity, because at some point you'll probably work in a company while such a change takes place.

If you're really lucky you'll be high enough up the company that your only interest in the matter is that you saved "the equivalent of" 30 quid per license, which sounds great when you tell shareholders/partners/potential clients/investors.

Possibly you'll be somewhere in IT, pulling your hair out at the number of problems the upgrade has caused.

If you're really unlucky you'll be a desk-jockey, pulling your hair out at the number of problems the upgrade has caused.

I think we can all see the lesson here.
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully by then, Linux would have advanced by huge leaps on the desktop, and will be a huge consideration for whichever company by then (well, I can hope! Still a couple years to go). Otherwise, Vista should have its problems ironed out, to some degree. Although the next release after Vista would be on the horizon, and probably coming in with this whole mess again.

There is good news with all this - ive managed to get a couple of lecturers who really know their stuff to host a Linux workshop for 2 hours tomorrow - I really didnt think they would, but it goes to show that it doesnt harm to just ask. Unsure what the turnout will be, but emails were sent around the computer science students persuading that it will be useful for the Operating Systems assignment.

Fedora has been good news too - the lab machines are getting on well with Fedora - they seemed to have a few problems with Ubuntu. But each time I walk into a lab, there are usually people in there using Fedora - perhaps they were sick of Vista, perhaps they were curious, or perhaps they have been using it at home. Either way, I have yet to hear any complaints.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: