converting from ms to linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby AJB2K3 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:54 pm

im running mandrake and all i can say is - keep away from suse, mandriva, fedora core,
PS look for linux format in the shops or order it.
AJB2K3
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:07 pm

AJB2K3 wrote:im running mandrake and all i can say is - keep away from suse, mandriva, fedora core,
PS look for linux format in the shops or order it.

You use Mandrake but tell people to stay away from Mandriva?? SUSE, Mandriva and Fedora are in the top 5 distros (distrowatch.com) for a reason.
Different distros suit different people, each distro has its own personality. The top/mainstream distros tend to cater for a broad range of users and are not always for everyones taste
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby gm2fz » Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:29 pm

yes, i'm very much on dial-up. up here in the hebrides, certain parts on the isle of lewis are on adsl i think and apart from a couple of other relatively small areas to the north who are on wireless networking, the rest of the hebrides are still on dial-up.

bt "say" they are going to be installing broadband over the whole of the hebrides "soon" ... rather laughable ... pardon me if i don't hold my breath!! ... but they have no plans for eriskay.

this is why i've bought cd's of mepis and a couple of others rather than download because it would take forever to do so and this will apply to any other add-on programmes i might need till i ditch the modem. this might happen much sooner rather than later as we hope to be getting our own wireless network system set up. so that's that story.

having already bought mepis, i'm not considering any others such as suse, mandriva or fedora core ... at the moment anyway ... and the extra 256 meg of ram i ordered should be here before the weekend.

linusformat sounds like a good idea.

regards,

michael.
http://www.isle-of-eriskay.com
..... far and away from all the hassle and stress .....
gm2fz

Postby M-Saunders » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:41 am

gm2fz wrote:linusformat sounds like a good idea.

With a special feature on Tove!

[groan]

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Help!