converting from ms to linux

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

converting from ms to linux

Postby gm2fz » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:34 pm

i know nothing about linux ... yet ... but once i've learnt a bit more, i plan on installing mepis (as my preferred choice) or kanotix or debian.

i use ms publisher 2002 and have a lot of .pub files which i can ill-afford to lose.

i want to avoid partitioning my hard drive. can i run it within linux or would i have to use scribus or another dtp programme? are they mutually compatable?

thanks in advance,

michael.
http://www.isle-of-eriskay.com
..... far and away from all the hassle and stress .....
gm2fz

RE: converting from ms to linux

Postby towy71 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:46 pm

Michael
you will have to partition your hard disk if you actually want to install Linux, Mepis could run from the CD but unless you have a lot of RAM it will be dog slow and frustrating.
A better idea would be to see if you can get an extra drive to install Linux on.
Once you have installed it might be possible to run publisher using wine (wine..is not an emulator).
If you want more help and advice could you let us know the spec of the computer you are using, the better for us to help you.
Slàinte
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby gm2fz » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:32 pm

hi,

thanks for your reply.

that's actually what i was planning .... to run linux on a separate hard drive as master and have a basic microsoft with publisher on the slave hd although, as an alternative, i was going to partition my 20gig hd into 2 lots of 10, one for linux and the other for ms.

i have run knoppix v3.9 from the cd and it was between dead-slow and stop. we don't have broadband anywhere here yet so i've ordered mepis and kanotix from the mainland and the intention was to install one of them in the hope that it will run faster.

the specification of the computer is:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/24/2005, 20:00:01
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 98 (4.10, Build 2222) A
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
Processor: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor, MMX, 3DNow, 400MHz
Memory: 128MB RAM
Page File: 98MB used, 1822MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 7.0 (4.07.00.0700)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 4.07.00.0700

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: XPERT 98 PCI (English)
Manufacturer: ATI Tech. - Enhanced
Chip type: Mach64: XL/XC Rev
DAC type: Internal
Device ID: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4752&SUBSYS_00081002&REV_27\BUS_00&DEV_0B&FUNC_00
Display Memory: 8.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (default refresh rate)
Monitor: HP D1196A Ergo Ultra VGA 15-inch Display
Monitor Max Res: 1024,768
Driver Name: ati2drae.drv
Driver Version: 4.12.01.2647 (English)
DDI Version: 7 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 9/6/2000 09:32:18, 271872 bytes
Driver Certified: Yes
VDD: *vdd,*vflatd
Mini VDD: ati2vxae.vxd
Registry: OK

i hope the spec. is okay for linux to run.

"Once you have installed it might be possible to run publisher using wine (wine..is not an emulator)."
what is wine and what does the bit in brackets mean?

please let me know if you need any other details.

regards from the isle of eriskay,

michael.
gm2fz

Postby A-Wing » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:47 pm

You may need to double that ram to run Linux to any kind of realistic speed. Make it 256meg and you should see a 3 fold speed increase in Knoppix. The rest of the specs are fine
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:11 pm

Michael
wine is a sort of emulator but in the twisted way of, gnu is not unix, silly acronyms rule.
wine provides an API (application program interface) for running windows programs and if you have an installed version of windows so much the better, then you can use the native dll files.
As Andrew says, more RAM, it will work with 128 meg but the more RAM the better it works, and a swap partition is also advisable!
My test box is always setup with 5 Gb / double the RAM as /swap and the rest as /home in order to preserve any data that I have written, made or generated. There are many schools of thought as to how systems should be set up but I think mine is not contoversial ;-)
On the adding disks front, windows should always be the first partition of the master disk or else it has hissy fits and complains or simply dies, Linux on the other hand doesn't care where it goes as long as you stroke it lovingly now and again ;-)
You're to far away for any of us to hold your hand but we are always here to help
have fun
Dick
Last edited by towy71 on Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towy71

Postby linuxgirlie » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:13 pm

gm2fz wrote:"Once you have installed it might be possible to run publisher using wine (wine..is not an emulator)."
what is wine and what does the bit in brackets mean?

Wine is a piece of software that will allow you to run windows programs under Linux their website is http://www.winehq.org

The bit in brackets is what wine stands for as in W. wine I. is N. not an E emulator
its a gnu thing....like GNU= G. gnu is N. not U. unix
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby fingers99 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 10:32 pm

You're really going to need to double the ram to run Kanotix or Knoppix on that box. Even so, a HD install of Damn Small Linux would probably be a better choice.

AFAIK, nothing in linux opens .pub files. You may find it possible to export them as something else, maybe rtf, postscript or html.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby gm2fz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:41 am

hi,

your advice is most welcome and i'm gradually beginning to form a picture as to what to do ... for the early stages anyway.

my motherboard will take up to 384megs max. but it has to be in a particular configuration. being almost 8 years old, it has banks of simm sockets (as well as dimm).... so i can plug in 2 x 128 simms which will add to my 2 x 64 dimms giving me a total of 384.

fine on ms first and partitioning. my 20 gig master hd will be partioned to 10 each and loaded with ms on c: and linux on d:. my 3 gig slave hd which will then be e:, will remain as storage for installation and home-generated files.

after reading up on a few distros, i think i will run with mepis ... to start with at least ... and i'll get a copy of wine from their site.

"linux in a nutshell" is also on my shopping list.

... and being out in the atlantic on a little island 50 to 60 miles off the west scottish coast, i certainly am too far away to be hand-held but i very much appreciate the thought. thank goodness for these forums!!

thank you again for all your help so far and regards,

michael.

-------------------------

i've just had a look at dsl and it looks good. this could well solve the extra ram problem for me but i should be getting the extra 256 meg chips in a couple of days so will stick with my original plan re. mepis for the time being.
also, i went into the wine site and clicked "downloads". there are a number of different downloard programmes ..... which one would i need to get please?
gm2fz

Postby mrlonely » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:33 pm

i would advise codeweavers crossover office as it uses wine but supports windows xp programs and version 5 (out soon) will support office 2003 but i would try to move away from windows i mean far away heres a link www.codeweavers.com
mrlonely

Postby gm2fz » Mon Jul 11, 2005 7:38 pm

hi,

the ms op. system i use is win98se, together with office pro 97 and publisher 2002. firefox and eudora pro, along with a few other odd programmes, make up the bulk of the software.

i understand that office pro is pretty much like openoffice so hopefully no worries there. the only problem was how to run publisher with linux but as i'm going to running an ms/linux dual-boot system, that problem will hopefully go away.

i never liked win xp ... far too controlling ... and as for any version of outlook express, words fail me!!

i'll have a look at codeweavers.com when i have a moment.

regards,

michael.
gm2fz

Postby mrlonely » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:07 pm

http://www.soft32.com/download_78755.html i think this might be a viewer for that for linux so u may be in luck please inform me

microshaft made me poor .. a homeless bum i found on the street :-)>
mrlonely

Postby jimsaku » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:29 pm

mrlonely wrote:http://www.soft32.com/download_78755.html i think this might be a viewer for that for linux so u may be in luck please inform me

that link points to software that is for viewing MS Project files, not Publisher files...

jim
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

Postby mrlonely » Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:14 pm

ooops sorry
mrlonely

Postby fingers99 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:13 pm

also, i went into the wine site and clicked "downloads". there are a number of different downloard programmes ..... which one would i need to get please?

Don't bother for now. Both mepis and dsl use apt-get which will find the version of wine you need and install it for you, satisfying dependencies on the way. Isn't Debian super cool ;-)
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:37 pm

fingers99 wrote:Don't bother for now. Both mepis and dsl use apt-get which will find the version of wine you need and install it for you, satisfying dependencies on the way. Isn't Debian super cool ;-)

Of course Debian and all its variants are cool, maybe it should be renamed Damn Fine Linux :lol:
although I have yet to wrangle with (1)Gentoo and (2)Slackware because....
(1) I'm too dumb
(2) I'm too slack

Dick
the other problem fingers99 is that Michael is on dialup :roll:
towy71

Next

Return to Help!