Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Resistance is futile.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

You will be assimilated
Diagmato
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

It seems Microsoft are the real cancer in that case - a company does well, Microsoft's radar picks it up and then:

Microsoft: "We would like to buy you"
some open source 'company': "Nah, were happy how we are thanks"
Microsoft:"OMG!!! I cant believe you said that!!! you are so sued!!!!"

Surely Microsoft cant just force companies to be bought? I know people need money to get along in life, but if companies bowed down to a seriously generous offer, wouldnt it be a huge waste of what they accomplished? Theyve just fed their "enemy" something obviously worthwhile, only for it to be stamped down and forgotten about by Microsoft as something they could live without.

If they do buy out everyone, then were back to them being a dominant monopoly where no one can compete.

Micro$oft gives you Windows, Linux gives you the full house
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

Let's be fair to Microsoft, I seriously doubt they'd waste money on a company just to bury its products.

Not when they could bloat it up to 15GB and make it run like an asthmatic paraplegic sloth, to make their own products more appealing.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

pootman wrote:
Let's be fair to Microsoft, I seriously doubt they'd waste money on a company just to bury its products.

Eh? I thought that was what a lot of big comapanies did, buy up inventors patents and small-time potential competitors specifically to bury them. Didn't Dyson complain specifically about that in one of his self-justifying (but nonetheless largely true) rants.
paulm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

pootman wrote:

They've done exactly that in the past. As an example. look at FoxPro. It was doing quite nicely, thank you. Then it was bought by MS. Where is it now....

Quote:
Not when they could bloat it up to 15GB and make it run like an asthmatic paraplegic sloth, to make their own products more appealing.

Well, they did that with FoxPro, but only as a prelude to killing the product completely.

paul.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

Generally MS are more subtle than that.
I have seen several companies that were "Microsoft partners", supposedly " helped" by MS to develop their software, suddenly there is a MS product that does what their software does, and they are no longer" supported" by MS.
There are several court cases in motion about this, trouble is, by the time the court has decided, the former "partner" is often bankrupt.

If you want to sup with the devil, use a long spoon.

Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

What is M$ thinking? Like: we've purchased your project, so we've bought your free spare time working on it as well? Get real! If M$ buys a company with a community-based development model, the dev's will leave. Maybe not immidiately, but leave they will... To start a new, identical project, community based and therefor not for sale Razz M$ should know by now, that no matter how much money they spend, the dev's still hold the copyright on their code, so M$ will not be able to prevent these dev's to use their code again. Wink Besides, it's GPL'd, or another FOSS licence...

Today's M$ credo: "If you can't beat them, buy them!" But M$ will never be able to buy a community spirit, or a conviction for Open Source Razz
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

All for one, one for all!

Never give up! Never surrender!

I must watch a few more films for some catchy rhetoric Smile
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Resistance is futile. Reply with quote

Welcome to the team, DZ015.

That's catchy.
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think you're being a bit unfair on uncle bill he only wants to be our friend, perhaps we've been having free software for long enough???
paul

ollie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of Microsoft's biggest purchases ran on open source software. It continued this way for about two years whilst they worked out a way to stuff it. And it has only taken another 3 years to "disappear" after changing to Microsoft Windows Servers.

Anyone remember a little company called Hotmail? The originator of web based email!
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:
i think you're being a bit unfair on uncle bill he only wants to be our friend, perhaps we've been having free software for long enough???
paul

whatever you're smoking, I want some Wink

Lamb0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
One of Microsoft's biggest purchases ran on open source software. It continued this way for about two years whilst they worked out a way to stuff it. And it has only taken another 3 years to "disappear" after changing to Microsoft Windows Servers.

Anyone remember a little company called Hotmail? The originator of web based email!

Yes, I still use Hotmail as one of my e-mail accounts. Microsoft keeps moving features into Live and out of "classic" Hotmail to force the issue, but I've no interest in tying my MEPIS to Microsoft. Once I get all my Windows astronomy (imaging) software running under WINE, I won't be booting into Windows as often as I do now - 2 to 6 times per month. Laughing
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lamb0 wrote:
Yes, I still use Hotmail as one of my e-mail accounts. Microsoft keeps moving features into Live and out of "classic" Hotmail to force the issue, but I've no interest in tying my MEPIS to Microsoft. Once I get all my Windows astronomy (imaging) software running under WINE, I won't be booting into Windows as often as I do now - 2 to 6 times per month. Laughing

I've found that using a Windows XP installation in a VirtualBox VM for the few times a month I need to see something in Windows the best way to go Very Happy

I know it needs a license but I get one through work for marking students' work.

PM me if you want a Gmail account to get rid of Hotmail totally. Gmail's spam filtering works wonders, so I use it to "register" sites/products before changing the email address if I don't get a hundred extra spam messages the next day Wink
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:
paul

whatever you're smoking, I want some Wink

sure just give me your address Very Happy
paul

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: