OpenSUSE10.3 released

Community announcements - software releases, LUG meetings etc.

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:09 pm

No, not tried it on a machine with a UPS.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:18 pm

Ho hum. While I am pleased that I could get compiz to work without XGL, it really doesn't seem to like twinview at all, it doesn't seem to like the kpowersave applet either, which insisted on starting in its own wiindow. So I have settled for enabling transparency and shadows under KDE and installing Kompose, because that's one of the most useful features, for me, from compiz.

Compiz seemed to work a lot better on my test box with only a single monitor, but I'm not prepared to sacrifice the screen real-estate on my main box. I also think the features/plugins for compiz could do with a lot better documentation available at the point of configuration.

Otherwise 10.3 is working just fine. Having kept up with the build service releases of KDE, it doesn't seem a lot different in use to 10.2. Still a few more things do work, such as K8temp monitoring, and I think the Xorg memory leak might just have been reduced to a reasonable level, time will tell.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:24 pm

I overlooked the new "1click" installs at first, but they are certainly a good idea, using ymps to install repos and rpms is a bit like synaptic etc.
Certainly seems to work well for Compizfusion!
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:43 pm

Indeed, some of them work very well, though I have had at least one case where it wanted to add repos I'd already got.

Today I have been mostly getting my Photosmart 7350 to be recognised properly by HP-Toolbox. Now, I don't remember that I needed to be a member of the lp group last time, but that's what fixed it. I really like the HP-Toolbox.

Edit: A kernel up date already! That's the other thing I have been doing.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:48 pm

Clearly I'm confused, but I thought K8Temp has been around for ages, I've been using it since 2004......or so I thought...
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 pm

Well, it was whatever changed about k8temp in kernel 2.6.19+. oS10.2 came with 2.6.18. It seems to have been there since 2.6.16 but something changed after with 2.6.19 to improve support, so it now works propely with this motherboard. If you want to know the details, then you are quite welcome to sift though the kernel change logs.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:40 pm

I've only just managed at the third attempt to download the iso.

I've been having a terrible intermittent problem with my BT broadband since May where I keep losing the connection or have no connection at all when I turn the computer on. I can be connected for a while (sometimes a short time, sometimes a long time), then I lose the connection (usually for quite a long time), then get it back again. I never know whether I'm going to be able to get on the Net or not. It's driving me nuts.

I've had the engineers in a number of times but nothing has been resolved. I had an engineer in last week who said it was "definitely an HR issue" (which I think refers to high resistance disconnection?). He reckoned it was a faulty master socket, which he changed. Everything was fine for the rest of the day but the next day it was back to the old problem again. I despair of ever getting this fixed and am seriously considering changing over to Virgin Media cable.

(If one of those Indian ladies asks me again "Have you tried changing the microfilter?" I swear I will not be responsible for my actions. :evil: )

Anyway, that apart, I'm looking forward to trying out 10.3, once I've got it burned to disc. From what I've read it sounds a real improvement over 10.1 (best forgotten :wink:) and 10.2.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:59 pm

Marrea
I have found that writing to the chairman of BT makes things happen ;-)
michaelrake@bt.com should get to him or one of his minions
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:45 pm

towy71

Perhaps I could get him to come out here and do some tests. :D

Seriously though, I have been looking at some of the "complaints about BT" forums and it seems as if I am not alone in suffering this sort of loss of connection problem. It's really odd that in my case this has only started happening since May. Before that in the four years since switching to BB from dial-up I have had only one fault (a line fault), which was quickly repaired without anyone having to come to the house.

It happens even if I plug the router direct into the master socket's test socket and unplug all the extensions and filters elsewhere in the house, which I think proves it is something to do with the external wiring - but the BT chaps seem incapable of working out exactly where.

Maybe I am cynical but I think they are trying to provide speeds which are far too optimistic for the old copper wiring we have in this country and the system is breaking down under the strain.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:18 pm

It was after I my ISP went from the old style 2Mb ADSL to the 8Mb maxADSL that I started getting problems, it was quite variable to start with, then seemed to settle down to about 5Mb, then after a couple of weeks of stability, it all went rather pear-shaped. The issue was never resolved, it was apparently pointless telling them I would be out the next day, they sent an engineer round anyway, who couldn't get in and therefore couldn't do anything. I changed all my hardware and connected direct to the master socket, which didn't change things for long. I became convinced that the more I did things to fix the connection at my end, the harder they worked to eff things up at the other end.
I'm now on cable and have very few problems in the last ~18 months.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:21 pm

Rhakios wrote:I'm now on cable and have very few problems in the last ~18 months.

Would that be Virgin Media? (Sorry, I'm not sure what areas of the country they cover.)

When you change from ADSL broadband to cable broadband do you have to get a MAC from your old (ADSL) provider to give to your new (cable) provider? As you will realise, I'm not terribly genned up yet on how it all works. All I know is that Virgin supply a cable modem to connect one computer and it's then up to the customer to acquire a router if they want to connect more computers (which I do). I understand I will have to get a cable router to replace my present Netgear DG834. I was wondering whether the Netgear RP614 might be a suitable choice. Any other suggestions?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:41 pm

Well Marrea, it's all Virgin Media these days. It was Blueyonder when I started.

If you are getting cable broadband you don't need to get a MAC, you just need to cancel your ADSL account (and your phone too, if you want to, I have both phone and internet over cable). I'm using a Netgear FVS114 with my cable modem, but I can't particularly recommend it above any other model.

Edit: I notice that the UK Netgear page for the RP614 is a lot more realistic (or at any rate less misleading) about the router's capabilities than the US one.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Ram » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:05 pm

All the new cable modems from VM have a ethernet connection and NO usb ( NTL:250 ) branded VM. So Marrea any router should do. I'm still using a Netgear RP114 and a Motrola Surfboard SB3100.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Ram
LXF regular

Postby Marrea » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:12 pm

Rhakios and Ram

Many thanks both of you.

I have a while to consider all this, as the first step is to get rid of the remains of a large holly tree (ie the hard bit - the roots) in our front garden, which we were always going to remove anyway but the prospect of getting cable has stirred us into action sooner rather than later. Once that is done, the way will be clear for the necessary laying of the cable from the pavement to the house.
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:15 pm

/me ducks as the topic flys off at a tangent :lol:
no fish involved too ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements