Need help with developing Linux Distro. Most is easy to do.

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Need help with developing Linux Distro. Most is easy to do.

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:26 pm

Greetings,

My name is Mark and I'm the head developer of a new linux distro named LDIOS.

Right now we need developers to keep various package series up to date (checking for new versions, compiling them, making packages for them, etc) and we need a few programmers to make some needed programs/utilities for LDIOS.

As of posting this (July 6th 2005), LDIOS is at Test Version 3 (only Test Version one and two are released to the public at this time). We should reach the first "Stable" within a couple months.

To volunteer, go to the LDIOS Forums and post a message in the public dev forum to let us know.

Thank you for all help,
Mark
TheUndergroundHangout

RE: Need help with developing Linux Distro. Most is easy to

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:52 am

Is it based on Slackware? If so, woo yay etc.! :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Thu Jul 07, 2005 4:18 pm

Yes LDIOS is based on Slackware. I love how Slackware is "simple" in the internals and how its more responsive than other distros I've tried and it was just a natural choice for me to use.

Some people think I'm nuts using slackware as the base for an "easy distro". Well I believe its about time to make a good, stable, fast, easy to use Distro :p
TheUndergroundHangout

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:18 am

I think there's validity in that, yeah. Vanilla Slack isn't the friendliest thing ever, but it's charmingly simple under the hood and not overloaded with a squillion layers of abstraction and fluff. Good luck with your project!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:08 pm

well LDIOS is "based" on slackware 10.1 BUT there is a lot of differences. Some of the biggest is the use of "current stable" software when possible and a recent kernel.

but with the idea of keeping packages up to date using the latest stable versions, i need devs to help keep all the packages up to date (theres a lot).
TheUndergroundHangout

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:28 pm

If someone could just change the rotation of the earth a bit to give me a few more hours in the day I would be happy to help. Although I'm off work on my own without the kids the week after my honeymoon so I might be able to help then.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby mugstar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:47 am

A-Wing wrote:...I'm off work on my own without the kids the week after my honeymoon...

How in the name of $DEITY did you manage that?? Do you need any eye teeth? :lol:
mugstar
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:50 am

I accidently booked 2 weeks off work instead of 1. The kids will still be going to nursery and my wife will be at work for the second week.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:17 am

On the subject of the OS I have spent the last few hours trying to install but it has borked on quite a few packages, will look at the logs when it finishes to send you a list. grrr
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:14 pm

well towy, just wanted to say that if the CD isnt burned right then yea it will fail on some of the packages. since the installer doesnt have any "retry" features yet, best thing to do if a package fails to install, write it down and manually install it when u get done.

we hope to test out using a modded anaconda installer (has a retry function and nice and pretty) but since we only have one developer who knows python, its taking awhile. they dont seem to know enough python to mod anaconda to work with slackware packages.
TheUndergroundHangout

Postby towy71 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Its cool, I gave up on trying to install cos there aren't enough hours in the day, but I will try it again soon.
Debian burns all my disks very nicely thankyou, although I do it on a CD-R rather than a CD-RW to see if that makes any difference, but I have an aversion to creating more coasters ;-)
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:04 pm

lol, well it installed fine on my pc except for the bootsplash and i have an issue with my cd-rw, lol.

if u want to wait till the first "stable" by then all issues should be worked out with installation. first stable should be available within a few months.
TheUndergroundHangout

Postby TheUndergroundHangout » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:32 pm

LDIOS Test3 is now available for download and contains many upgrades and new programs.

Announcement (Read This for info):
http://ldios.undergroundhangout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53

http://www.iso.undergroundhangout.com/ldios/Testing/ISO/

Let me know when the ISO's are on the torrent so I can post links and such.
TheUndergroundHangout

Return to Help!