Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newb having problems with RPMs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to linux, i.e. I installed the day before yesterday. It will therefore possibly seem odd that I am already attempting to recompile my kernel, which I am, but you have to take my word for it that I *do* need to Wink

My query is that I am trying to download the latest stable kernel from the Mandriva Cooker, which AFAIK is just a repository for Mandrake/Mandriva stuff. I have tried many of the different mirrors, but each rpm that I download does the same thing. I enter the root password, answer yes to a prompt that I do want to install, rather than just saving, then the installation begins, and I get an error saying that the package has a bad signature. If I "continue anyway" the installation just stops.

What is causing this, and how can I get around this? Corruption is not likely since I've tried a few different download mirrors, so I assume I am doing something wrong Wink

Last edited by Philosophicles on Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

Two possibilities:
1. The kernel source rpm is a large package (or it should be) installation can seem to hang for some time, you might need to leave it a little longer.
2. Try installing form the command line with rpm -ivh kernel-source-whatever.rpm (su to root first, i.e. type su <return> enter root password <return>, when you finished being use exit to log off).

You are probably getting the signature error if you haven't configured cooker as an rpm source, which normally imports the key automagically.
towy71

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

Philosophicles have you actually downloaded the kernel package before trying to install it? That might be your problem! As I understand it if you try to install before you have the complete file it will look for the various components and they will not neccessarily be there.
HTH
Dick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

Heheh, yes thanks Towy71, I did wait for the entire 40.7 meg to download Razz . As for Rhakios' suggestion, I tried leaving it for about 5 minutes after clicking the "Continue anyway [despite signature error]" option, and no dice. Tried your command-line alternative (I really need to learn how to do all these things at the shell, don't I?) :

Quote:
[root@localhost Desktop]# rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.12.3mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm
warning: kernel-2.6.12.3mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 26752624
1:kernel-2.6.12.3mdk warning: user flepied does not exist - using root
warning: user flepied does not exist - using root
warning: user flepied does not exist - using root)
########################################### [100%]
[root@localhost Desktop]#

I think I actually tried it at the command line once before, before looking here for help, and I'm pretty sure it gave me something different, but still the same first line "Warning... NOKEY...etc", and pretty clearly did not actually install the package.

If I then cd /usr/src and do an ls, I get three folders: linux, linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk and RPM. As I understand, linux is the currently installed kernel, and RPM is not too relevant to what I'm doing here (correct me if I'm wrong). The linux-2.6.8.1-12mdk was one I got off the distro CD, but I kinda tried playing with it and I think I broke it Wink. It certainly won't do the things that the Mandriva "How to recompile kernel" guide says it should, so I am wary of using it anymore, lest I end up with no kernel.

My point there is that the downloaded package, kernel-2.6.12.3mdk-1-1mdk.src.rpm, does not seem to be there anywhere, and I believe that is where it would be installed to by default. Any more suggestions based on this?
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

Whoops, forgot to sign in there. If you didn't guess, last post was me. Sorry!
Philosophicles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

OK, I think I've sorted it all out. In the end I figured out how to unbreak the package I got off the CD, so I've installed that again and am right in the middle of a kernel recompile as I type. No quiche for me Wink

Thanks for your help, guys. I'm sure I'll be back with another problem before long!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: RE: Newb having problems with RPMs Reply with quote

Of course the other problem was that you were installing a src rpm as opposed to an rpm of the kernel source. A common mistake. Firstly a src.rpm is a file containing the the source code and spec file for an application, you use rpmbuild --rebuild to create an rpm from it. If you install such a src.rpm all it does is dump a tar.bz2 package of the sources in /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES and the spec file in the same place under SPECS.
On the other hand the kernel-source rpm is a package that installs the mandriva kernel sources (including kernel headers, and a copy of the default .config) under /usr/src/linux-2.6.whatever and linked to /usr/src/linux.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: