problems with X apps after system migration

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

problems with X apps after system migration

Postby jimsaku » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:20 pm

Hello

To cut a long story short, i recently migrated my system from an old 120gb disk to a new 200gb disk. To do this, i booted from a live cd, mounted both disks and used cpio to copy all the files across. eg:

cd /mnt/old_disk
find . -print | /mnt/old_disk/bin/cpio -pamd /mnt/new_disk

that all went smoothly (it took a looooooong time), and i was suspicious when i rebooted that everything was going too well (these things don't normally go smoothly for me). all went fine up until the point fluxbox wanted to start. basically, it didn't.

i can run twm and xterms & aterms, but that seems to be about it on the graphical-app front (all my favourite cli apps seem ok). when i try to launch gaim or opera or pretty much anything else that uses X (apart from mplayer, oddly) they all segfault. some sooner than others (gaim never does anything, sometimes xine will appear briefly before crapping out).

i've checked permissions to make sure they were preserved ok (as far as i can tell, they were). i've re-compiled my kernel, rebuilt X, all to no avail.

everything else (apache, postgres, mysql, ssh) all seem to be doing just fine, it's just the X apps.

any ideas?

tia

Jim.
Last edited by jimsaku on Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimsaku

RE: problems with X apps after system migration

Postby jimsaku » Thu Jun 30, 2005 4:26 pm

*bump*

a friend of mine suggested that perhaps the cause was that the contents of /dev
didn't copy over properly. if i boot from a live cd, wipe /dev and reboot, will i
utterly destroy my computer?

jim.
jimsaku

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:14 pm

*bump again* :P

well, having wiped /dev /proc /sys and /tmp i can safely say it was nothing in there... i've installed gdb and done some experimenting. there is a pattern, i just don't know how to interpret it. most of the apps that die (& aren't just wrapper-scripts) give a message similar to the following:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
{...}
0x4080ad17 in FT_Stream_OpenLZW () from /usr/lib/libfreetype.s0.6

the following apps spit this error at me: gaim, k3b, konqueror, aumix (xaumix works fine, oddly enough), and more.

the following apps still work: twm, xterm, aterm, gtoaster (gtk 1 maybe??), OOo, maple, and acroread (probably among others).

so, in summary, it's not as bleak as i thought but i'm still living on the command line, since the apps that do work, i never used!

please, please, someone who knows about gdb or freetype (or both) jump in and tell me what to do! (apart from telling me to reinstall freetype -- i've done that).

jim.

Postby jjmac » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:31 am

You could try invoking the apps with 'ltrace' and possibly 'strace', and piping the console output to a file. It may give some indication as to some consistency, were it's failing. There arn't any symlinks associated with those apps that were lost in the copy are there.... I don't know much about cpio, possibly doing the whole thing again with 'rsync' or 'tar' might be an idea ...

]# tar -C . -c <sub_directory> | tar -C <dest_top_dir> -x

As you can see, i'm more familiar with tar.

>>
most of the apps that die (& aren't just wrapper-scripts) give a message similar to the following:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
{...}
0x4080ad17 in FT_Stream_OpenLZW () from /usr/lib/libfreetype.s0.6
>>

Looks like a hint to me, seems to be something associated with your freetype lib that gone missing !

>>
(apart from telling me to reinstall freetype -- i've done that).
>>

It might not be the lib it self, but an associated facility, sounds like a good candidate for a goodle string :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby jimsaku » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:09 pm

well woo hoo!

cheers for the pointer to strace, it found my problem. it moaned about a bunch of weird files (some starting with %) not existing in one of my font directories. so i backed up the directories, removed them from the filesystem, and now everything works!! i'm very very happy. now all i have to do is reinstall several thousands of dollars worth of fonts without breaking my system.

thanks again jjmac. i'd like to point out that i never gave in to the people who said i should "just" reinstall. i've not yet come across a problem with linux that i couldn't fix eventually with enough help from either google or these forums or forums elsewhere or some irc channel, and every time i don't give in (i'm very stubborn -- ask my wife) i learn something.

jim :mrgreen:
there's no such thing as 2

resist cimpulsory id
jimsaku

Postby jjmac » Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:52 am

strace is really handy sometimes ... heaps of output though :)

>>
i never gave in to the people who said i should "just" reinstall.
>>

I know, it can be like trying to find a washer of a particular size though sometimes ... after pulling the whole shed apart without any joy, then going all the way to the hw shop and spending $12 on a whole new packet ... then finding one just sitting there on the bench later (grin). Not the kind of thing one likes ones dog to be observing in the process (grin).

>>
now all i have to do is reinstall several thousands of dollars worth of fonts
>>

Good grief, i wont ask ...

>>
... a bunch of weird files (some starting with %) not existing in one of my font directories. so i backed up the directories, removed them from the filesystem, and now everything works!!
>>

Strange ... freetype was trying to open something that didn't exist, but thought it did based on a directory existing ?. It looked like some function call to me, so i figured it may have been a library that was accessed via a symlink, and when you copyed every thing over, the symlink may have gone astray.

I thought it may have had something to do with file/font decompression, because of the "LZ" in the function name :roll: :)

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Help!