Linux on windows Vertual pc

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: No shoddy alpha release here...

Postby phil1ooo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:02 am

Hi to all..And thank you
I ended up ringing microsoft and they told me that vpc doesn't support linux at this time.

I ended up getting Vmware and it all worked first time round,So now i can run both windows and linux at the same time with a monitor each and also increased my ram to 8 gigs and give them 4 gigs each and it's there a dream to operate.

I do have one issue left on linux but ,,,When i try to setup skype i get a message that says ( dependantcy resalution fail ).Does anyone now what this is please.

Thanks again to all.
phil1ooo

Postby pootman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:32 am

I'm currently running new Gentoo on old hardware, installed using PCLinuxOS 2007 to get my wireless network up (to save re-compiling everything from the disc version). It takes about three days to go from a blank disc to a kde desktop (half an hour to set up and then three days to run 'emerge -DuN this && emerge -DuN that'). And then everything just works :)

(Except I blew up half the vg with /home on it yesterday. Nelz's fault. [sniff]:()
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 am

Why not install from compiled packages? It shouldn't take much more than an hour to get from a blank disk to a working desktop with Gentoo. Install everything from packages, then set your USE flags etc and emerge -e world in the background.

As for your vg, I don't know what I did, but at least I didn't break my own /home :P
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby pootman » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:10 am

Ahem.

I'm too impatient to wait for the DVD to download to get KDE packages (I assume they're on there)...
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby drinksoymilk » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:40 am

phil1ooo wrote:I ended up ringing microsoft and they told me that vpc doesn't support linux at this time.

Microsoft's virtual products have been supporting Linux since Virtual Server 2004. Looks like the "support" person you spoke with should read my 9/13 post or the tons of information out there since 2004 (both in Windows and Linux forums and blogs). Even their search engine (Live Search) points to information to the contrary.

Glad to hear that things are working well for you with VMware. VMware probably has a means to copy/paste information between your Windows and Linux sessions, which is a feature not supported by VPC.
drinksoymilk

RE: Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby phil1ooo » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi ..my problem is istalling vmware tools as now as everything I try to get permission to allow me fails and as a windows user I'm not sure if the paths are the same or not but nothing works.

This is what it tells me in the box,,,,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dependency Resolution Failed
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Can't install Openoffice_org-pt-BR-2.1-0.26.i586[SLED10-SP1-updates].
since OpenOffice_org-pt-BR-2.1-0.21.i586[SUSE linux Enterprise Desktop 10SP1 10.1-0]is already marked as needing to be installed
Marking this resolution attempt as invalid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope this helps out
phil1ooo

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 am

That is telling you that you are trying to install two versions of the same package.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:22 pm

Also, why are you using SLED updates when you told us in another thread that you were using Suse10.1?
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby phil1ooo » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:50 am

sled came in vmware tools,You know I haven't been able to do anything on this so called great linux system due to this fact,,I installed Suse in vmware it then told me I had to install vmware tools and it will not let me and it seems from most forums I've read this is a commen proplem yet no one knows how to solve it.I'm only trying out linux to see if some people I know tell me is true,,that it is better than windows and faster and other than the fact that it is open source which I have not yet had the chance to experience it is nothing but a headache because no two people using linux comes up with the same thing let along anything that works where at least windows is the same for everyone,,,My experience with windows is you can have fun not get headaches.And as for these forums other than replying me with obvious questions well it seems you don't know anymore than I do.
So please stop asking me stupid Questions.
phil1ooo

Postby towy71 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:27 am

phil1ooo
If you want to experience Linux in all its glory you won't get it from running in a virtual space because of the underlying OS's limitations ;-)
Please don't be rude, most of us here are unpaid volunteers who genuinely want to help :D
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:01 pm

I think that one of your problems is that you are assuming that there one Linux system, whereas there are many.
Installing a package tailored for one release (e.g.SLED) on another (e.g. Opensuse10.1) is a bit like installing a Windows 98 driver on an WindowsXP machine- it may work, it may not.
Some distros use .rpm packages, some use .deb , some use other formats.

The permission issue is (I think- it is difficult to be sure with so little info) caused by the repository not being added to Yast.
In Linux, it is best to use the Yast package manager (in K menu>system>administrator settings>software) to install packages, rather than just clicking on the package from the desktop If the package is not available, you can copy it to a folder, and make that folder a repository for Yast

Also make sure that you are using the correct packages - there are 32bit and 64bit versions, and the packages are different, as they are in 32 and 64 bit windows.

As for stupid questions, I think if you actually gave the people on here enough information, they might be able to help.
Rudeness and irrelevant ranting like "windows is the same for everyone" won't get you help or sympathy.
This forum is exactly that, a forum, not a helpdesk. The users on here use many different versions of Linux, for different purposes, and for different reasons.

(By the way, I have been employed on Windows networks since 1997, and I use Opensuse on several machines at work and at home)
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: Microsoft VPC Linux support...

Postby Rhakios » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:01 pm

phil1ooo wrote:sled came in vmware tools,

No it doesn't. SLED and VMWare tools have nothing to do with one another.

You know I haven't been able to do anything on this so called great linux system due to this fact,,I installed Suse in vmware it then told me I had to install vmware tools and it will not let me and it seems from most forums I've read this is a commen proplem yet no one knows how to solve it.

VMware tools is available as an rpm to install, to configure it you need the kernel source package and gcc, both of which can be installed from YaST.

I'm only trying out linux to see if some people I know tell me is true,,that it is better than windows and faster and other than the fact that it is open source which I have not yet had the chance to experience it is nothing but a headache because no two people using linux comes up with the same thing let along anything that works where at least windows is the same for everyone,

Trying out Linux as a first-timer is never easy, especially if you confuse different versions.

,,My experience with windows is you can have fun not get headaches.

Which hasn't been and isn't my experience of Windows.

And as for these forums other than replying me with obvious questions well it seems you don't know anymore than I do.
So please stop asking me stupid Questions.

It was a sensible question intended to help, if you can't accept it that's your problem, goodbye.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Sep 22, 2007 5:33 pm

My experience with windows is you can have fun not get headaches.

well said :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:29 pm

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:

You want a headache, I'm your man.
paul

Well said :-)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:48 pm

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:

You want a headache, I'm your man.
paul

i love you :-)

paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PreviousNext

Return to Other OS