Serial/USB

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Serial/USB

Postby Lanser » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:10 pm

This is probably a stupid question but here goes anyway, I use a serial cable (9pin 'D' serial to 5 pin DIN) to log data from a hi-performance battery charger/discharger can I just rewire the serial end to a USB plug from maplin or does the actual data need converting before transmission?

regards
John
Lanser

Postby wiz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 6:59 pm

Do a google search on 'USB to serial' and loads of sites come up. Look at the ones on the right of the screen. I tried several & some of them were very helpful.
It looks as though you need a dedicated cable that costs about 15 quid in the UK
This caught my interest because at this moment I am fault finding on a radio data transmitter using a home brewed system that logs data words via the parallel port.
wiz
LXF regular

Postby Lanser » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 pm

Wiz, I think you did not understand what i was asking I have googled already and none of the sites supply a USBam to 5pin DIN so I know that I need to make a cable up just wanted to find out if it would work before I fry an expensive charger (£300)

regards
John
Lanser

Postby wiz » Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:44 pm

What I meant was that you may be able to plug your existing cable into a usb to serial adaptor cable and let that handle any data conversion that is needed.

Messy with two cables I know, but worth a look. .
wiz
LXF regular

Postby Lanser » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:04 pm

I see what you mean now I will get an adapter and give it a go :D
Lanser

Postby wiz » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 pm

If your battery charger goes up in flames, don't blame me. I know nothing :wink:
wiz
LXF regular

Return to Help!