Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby MachuMan » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:03 pm

Good point, i'd definately consider subscribing to a LXF without a cd/dvd
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?

Postby bonzerwood » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:37 am

What would be wrong with a pre-paid subscription to a down-load club such as one of the Internet information services where you cannot down-load anything unless you have paid your quids and signed up to the secrecy conditions. This way Future Publishing would get their money paid up front like a snail-mail delivered subscription and the free loaders would be excluded by not having member IDs.

How about that for an idea :?: :D
bonzerwood

Postby gunny » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:43 am

Given that a lot of the readers have broadband connections and can download most of the content on the cd/dvd would LXF ever consider releasing a copy at a reduced price without the dvd/cd for those of us more interested in the magazine itself?

Exactly. Practically the only thing I use the coverdisc for is the PDF's for tutorials (PHP, Gimp etc) or if you bung a Live CD on there, I might boot it up. When I install a distro, I want the latest-and-greatest, so I normally download from the distro vender. The only distro I've used from a coverdisc was SLED, but I could have lived without that. tI get most of my software from my distro's repositories: if they don't have a program I compile from source. Source downloads are pretty small, so it's no hassle for my broadband connection.

Give me a magazine that costs $10-12 AUS with no disk over one that costs $17-25 with a disc anyday. I don't see why you can't put the old tutorials on the web: hell, add a 'confirm code' so you have to buy a mag before you can get the PDFs. The chance of them being distrubuted will be exactly the same as if they where on the disks.

I really love LXF, but I just can't afford to keep buying it. A subscripton would only save me about $20-40 dollars. If I could subscribe for 25%+ discount with no disk, I would certainly consider subscribing. But for now I must be content with the occasional LXF, which is a real PITA for following tutorials and the like for examples, and praying Larry and Sergi's plane filled with cash to land in my backyard. :D
gunny

Previous

Return to This Website