Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby wackman » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:48 pm

my only point was that at this point, I doubt drm should be much of an issue. There are ways to protect your IP for things such as this. Besides, I think the latest Brittney Spears album might be a little more in demand than the latest copy of LXF.

I'm the only person I know who's into Linux (despite my evengelism). I have thought about some of my UK chat friends, but it'd probably take as long to get and cost about the same (ok, maybe a little less, but not worth talking someone into buying a magazine for me).

It just seems to me that it wouldn't be much trouble at all to put up a secure online version of perhaps select articles.
wackman

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:34 pm

As I said earlier, I pay €12 for lxf.
Scan it and I'll give you €2
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.

Postby Rhakios » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:07 pm

jer1ch0 wrote:As I said earlier, I pay €12 for lxf.

That's less than €1 per hour :shock:

I wouldn't consider doing anything for less than minimum wage :wink:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat i

Postby jer1ch0 » Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:17 pm

Call it open source and it costs nothing. In fact if it doesn't work give me your code and I will rewrite it.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:46 am

No deals like that here, please :)

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:18 am

Please bear in mind that whilst LXF is a magazine about FLOSS software, it is not published under any sort of open source or creative commons license. That means that scanning the whole mag & selling it on is a copyright infringement, and I think the publishers might not be very happy with that.

Remember, the open source community respects copyright - it's what makes the GPL possible and stops the big corporations from stealing opensource code.

If you're really that unhappy about the price of LXF, why not try the FLOSS solution, ie create a better and cheaper magazine yourself ? See if you can get people to donate articles. Put it online with whatever content charging system you feel happy with at the price you feel is right. And if you do go this route, let us know...
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat i

Postby jer1ch0 » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:58 pm

I don't really have a gripe about the price. I'm happy to pay for the quality content.
It's the government tax that puts up the price over here.
jer1ch0
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?

Postby LXFRulz » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:58 pm

I agree the magazine is a bit expensive! I had to quit smoking just so I could buy the magazine every month! javascript:emoticon(':mrgreen:')
Mr. Green
And the teasing you guys do! I finally get the Retro games mag, all excited, then I see flying pigs on the web site! With Debian and Fedora Core 4, on a double sided DVD! I've got 34 more days until I get to peruse that mag! so I just drool and check out the site until then, and download some old skool games!
If you want a PDF magazine, there is a free Tux Magazine, that is sent out in PDF format. It is strictly for newbies though. but there is some good information in there. you can find it at
world wide web dot tuxmagazine dot com. (No I'm not affiliated with them. Just thought it could be useful for some of your readers)
________
Philip Caldwell
________
buy vapir vaporizer
Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LXFRulz

Re: RE: Re: RE: Too high price for LinuxFormat in U.S.?

Postby Nigel » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:25 pm

LXFRulz wrote:I agree the magazine is a bit expensive! I had to quit smoking just so I could buy the magazine every month!

See... LXF is good for your health, too :D
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:29 pm

"It needn't be hell, with... er... LXF"

Doesn't work the same, does it? :(

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:05 pm

LXF sounds like something for constipation to me:
"LXF, predictable morning relief from Microsoft"
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Try $22.00 before tax in Canada

Postby beast2k » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:30 pm

I could pay you to swim to Canada with a copy in your teeth and still save money. Actually I would pay double that, the Mag is that good my only complaint is articles should be reprinted after a time here on the website for easy use.
beast2k

RE: Try $22.00 before tax in Canada

Postby MachuMan » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:53 pm

Sorry if i'm breaking some Taboo here, but for all you 'Johnny foreigners' LXF is chuffing expensive in th UK too. I'm not saying that its not value for money but there have been occasions i have not purchased it before because i havent had enough cash on me.

Given that a lot of the readers have broadband connections and can download most of the content on the cd/dvd would LXF ever consider releasing a copy at a reduced price without the dvd/cd for those of us more interested in the magazine itself?
Whats ' a machu' with you?
-------------------
Slackware, sexy linux
MachuMan

Re: RE: Try $22.00 before tax in Canada

Postby A-Wing » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:39 pm

MachuMan wrote:Given that a lot of the readers have broadband connections and can download most of the content on the cd/dvd would LXF ever consider releasing a copy at a reduced price without the dvd/cd for those of us more interested in the magazine itself?

I already asked the same thing about a month ago I think. Don't think LXF / Future will really budge over this though. Just think, you get a free DVD case for your CDR/DVDRs and a coaster/frizbee.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby mota » Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:10 am

I think the price is pretty high. However, you do get what you pay for. I haven't seen too many other computer related magizines that have as good of a varity of content as linux format.

I purchased the magizine since summer 2003, my initial subscription kicked in in X-mas 2003. Over the nearly 2 years I have bought the magizine my tastes have changed. I hardly use the cover disks and would love to save some money on my subscription by getting rid of them. However, from a practical point of view the cover disks are a major selling point at the news stands. The first LXF I bought was because it had the Mandrake 9.1 distro in its cover disk. The blender tutorials looked attractive too, but the main selling point was the cover disk.

What would be ideal would be a DVD version for the news stands and subscribers who don't mind paying for it, and a diskless version for the subscribers. I see no point in the CD version. Nearly all computers have them now days, and they are a very cheap upgrade if for some reason someone dosen't. I got an new OEM dual layer DVD burner for $79. A DVD reader should be even less.

As long as my finances stay the way they are I will renew my subscription again.
mota

PreviousNext

Return to This Website