Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

grub problems!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
niceguy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:22 pm    Post subject: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Am at the end stage of gentoo installation and after reboot I get the following

root (hda0,0)
filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r6 root=/dev/hda3
Error 15:file not found

my hda3 is ext3 and hda1 is ext2
I am not too sure how to proceed from here on. Please help guys.
thanks
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: RE: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

The first line should be "root (hd0,0)".

Is the name of the kernel exactly correct? If you installed the kernel with "make install" as recommended in the magazine, it will be "vmlinuz" or "vmlinuz-2.6.11-gentoo-r6".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: RE: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

Is there any way I can get back into grub.conf without starting the whole process again. At the moment all I got after a reboot is the error message and a grub prompt.
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: RE: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

What do you mean "without starting the whole process again?" - do you mean without reinstalling from scratch? Use a boot disk. Either the system rescue of your distro or even tomsrtbt will access the boot partition just fine. Other than that, Grub also has a feature to edit it directly from the main grub menus.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: RE: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

See the section in the magazine on restarting the installation. Boot fro the CD/DVD and chroot back into the Gentoo environment to make your changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: RE: grub problems!!! Reply with quote

thanks guys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: