Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's amazing what conference call boredom prompts you to do
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How do you spend your time in conference call hell?
Contributing happily to the conversation.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Wishing your IT hadn't blocked YouTube.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Writing a virus to shave fractional cents (farthings) out of your transactions.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Contemplating the death and/or dismemberment of the person who arranged the call.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Comatose and/or drunk.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 5

kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: It's amazing what conference call boredom prompts you to do Reply with quote

While stuck on a mind-numbing conference call, I noticed all of my clients use the exact same e-mail disclaimer. While the droning went on and on, I decided to alter it and send it in reply to see if anyone caught it.

"The information in this electronic mail message is the sender's intellectual ramblings and may be legally deranged. It is intended for the addressee(s) and anyone else who will listen. Access to this internet electronic mail message by anyone else is a complete waste of their time. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is wasteful and may be mood-altering and diminish sex drive."

"The sender believes that any virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code belongs to Microsoft to propagate their Windows Defender service. This message and its attachments could have been infected during transmission since Microsoft writes the software many offensive e-mail servers use. By reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full responsibility for taking a stand against over-commercialized and proprietary tripe brought forth by monolithic operating companies in favor of their open-sourced alternatives. The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage arising from their stupidity in choosing this inherently insecure operating system."{sar}
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: RE: It Reply with quote

Nice disclaimer, I find it annoying when I have an email conversation going and someone just hits the reply button. I get their disclaimer and my disclaimer, and another disclaimer from their company and so on.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: RE: It Reply with quote

Hah!

Last edited by M-Saunders on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject: RE: It Reply with quote

Your post looks odd Mike Confused
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: It Reply with quote

My disclaimer is in the Sig, I only add it once in the first reply or initial mail, then any further replies just get a Kind regards, Cheers or a Thank you and my first name.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Dark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just mess around with Beryl and stuff, fun when your on the phone and bored
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once playing Worms whilst on a conference call. Forgot to turn the sound off though (one of those days) so I suddenly had everyone in the company whats went "Yippeee". Some hard explaining to do there!
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Your post looks odd Mike Confused

Yeah, the lower box is about three times its normal height. No idea why!

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

And only on that post Confused Confused Confused

Actually, have you changed it? It only looks about twice as high as normal now, but that could be because I'm using my laptop at the moment.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
I was once playing Worms whilst on a conference call. Forgot to turn the sound off though (one of those days) so I suddenly had everyone in the company whats went "Yippeee". Some hard explaining to do there!

That's hilarious. And in regard to your previous response, that's what prompted the boredom tinkering. It was a long stream of disclaimers--all of them verbatim and all of them equally worthless.

You might as well end your e-mail with: "Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. Some cars not for use with some sets. Do not taunt Happy, Fun Ball." and be done with it.
catgate
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
I was once playing Worms ..

At what?
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

Ram wrote:
My disclaimer is in the Sig, I only add it once in the first reply or initial mail, then any further replies just get a Kind regards, Cheers or a Thank you and my first name.

I take it one step further - I trim all irrelevant junk from all emails and then answer the questions or problems through the email and make sure there is only one copy of my sig at the bottom. This is exactly what nearly everyone does with forum postings.

There are two big problems with this. The first one is that M$ Outlook auto replies with everything below your message and many people don't have the netiquette experience to know how to do this. (I can even remember one poster to LXF saying he was reprimanded because he didn't just do what M$ Outlook did - A-Wing?). The second one is company mail servers, usually M$ Exchange, automatically adding the legal junk at the bottom of every email that is sent.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
Ram wrote:

I take it one step further - I trim all irrelevant junk from all emails and then answer the questions or problems through the email and make sure there is only one copy of my sig at the bottom.

Yeah, I do the same. I used to show my USENET roots by using <snip> to show sections I had removed. Finally, I had so many people ask what "snip" meant that I broke myself of the habit. It gets annoying answering self-evident questions.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

Maybe you should use "[snip]" instead of "<snip>". That's what I use and I don't recall anyone ever asking what it meant Razz

These auto-added disclaimers get ridiculous though. My partner has her work emails forwarded to her home address and each one has two disclaimers, one added on receipt and another when it is sent back out.
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: It Reply with quote

Smile I'll be embarrassed if it was just my choice of brace that was throwing people off. Smile

I think the auto-disclaimers can be humorous sometimes--like when you get a one-word reply, like "yep!" with a 300 word disclaimer following it. But, yeah, they are mostly annoying.

Maybe my next conference call project will be to translate into pig-latin or Russian or something. (No, I don't speak Russian. It wouldn't be a challenge if I did, would it?)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: