Bill Gates saves Africa...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Bill Gates saves Africa...

Postby guy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:53 pm

Anybody else see Mr Hyde plugging his Dr Jekyll agenda on Live8 today?

Will George Bush give a tinker's cuss what Bill says? No, of course not. So why did he bother? What will his 15 minutes of fame on Live8 do for him?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

RE: Bill Gates saves Africa...

Postby Flea » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:17 am

Taken from WebProNews >
Gates was introduced to the crowd by Live8 founder Bob Geldof who praised the charitable work of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation and hailed the software tycoon as the world's most important philanthropist.

Philanthropist! Hardly!* Sure, he donates money and computers but wouldn't you if you were worth about 30 billion dollars? I know for a god damn fact if I was worth that much at least 29 1/2 billion dollars would be pumped into charity!

He just liked the idea of having his face on every tv set around the world for a few minutes!

Dave.

* What should I expect from little Mr naive Geldof, the man who was 'shocked' that live8 tickets were being flogged on eBay, I mean really Bob, wtf did you expect?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:53 pm

Think his last donation was around $15 billion, approximatley half of his total worth....
I don't think I know anyone who can justify keeping $15 billion to themselves!

I wonder if Mr Moneybags lets third world countries use his Operating systems free, or if they still have to pay theat phenominal price just for the privilage of a license key!!!!
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby jlarue » Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:46 am

I remember talking to somebody in the Gates Foundation (who was actually helping public libraries in the states set up a Linux thin client solution). Bill Sr. had a talk with Bill Jr. "No one," he said, remembers Andrew Carnegie for his steel mills anymore. They remember him for his donations to public libraries." So began the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation -- because the FATHER believes in philanthropy. It's hard to know if the son does -- but the gifts are real enough.
jlarue

Postby jjmac » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:51 am

>>
I wonder if Mr Moneybags lets third world countries use his Operating systems free, or if they still have to pay theat phenominal price just for the privilage of a license key!!!
>>

hehehehe, But then he wouldn't have the donation money ... All good for the image though. I wonder when the bouncing monkey sidekick is going to get in on the act (grin).

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:22 am

hmm...
xp + office * computers in rich parts of africa - money donated = megabucks?
You can't have food/clothes/medicine but be safe in the knowlege you can have a holographic CD.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:02 pm

>>
xp + office * computers in rich parts of africa - money donated = megabucks?
>>

I think most of the actual donations though go into the military and skims unfortunately, the rest into administration, almost futile...

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 pm

one way to avoid tax I guess.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby ggsinclair » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:03 am

As much as I enjoy Bill bashing I do think we have to give the guy a bit of credit where credit is due. There are many people who have a lot of money out there who give sod all to charity.

Although I am totally against Mr Gates and his corporation when it comes to their systems I do have respect for the man when it comes to giving to charity.

Gordon
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
ggsinclair
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:55 am

I'm not a religious person, but I think the following has an ethical/moral standing in this case:

12:41And he sat down over against the treasury, and beheld how the multitude cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. 12:42And there came a poor widow, and she cast in two mites, which make a farthing. 12:43And he called unto him his disciples, and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, This poor widow cast in more than all they that are casting into the treasury: 12:44for they all did cast in of their superfluity; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby lurgee » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:05 am

ggsinclair wrote:As much as I enjoy Bill bashing I do think we have to give the guy a bit of credit where credit is due. There are many people who have a lot of money out there who give sod all to charity.

But isn't it also important to remember where the money came from and how it was aquired? You can't rob a guy in a wheelchair at gun-point, give half the money to charity and be hailed as a hero. He's not the devil, but he's no saint either, and all the money he gives to charity won't wash those ugly black stains from his soul.

And like A-Wing said, he gives from excess and that does matter.
Get off my back, there's not enough room for you and the monkey!
lurgee

Postby guy » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:32 pm

ggsinclair wrote:As much as I enjoy Bill bashing I do think we have to give the guy a bit of credit where credit is due. There are many people who have a lot of money out there who give sod all to charity.

Although I am totally against Mr Gates and his corporation when it comes to their systems I do have respect for the man when it comes to giving to charity.

Whovians will recall the recent episode in which a usually murderous alien let one of the Doctor's allies off the hook (in the ladies' toilet), for evidently sentimental reasons. When the alien later pleaded with the Doctor, raising this act in here defence, he replied to the effect that the occasional good work was the way such people as her justify their evil deeds to themselves.

IMHO it is not an excuse for the bad things, it is just a weak-minded abuser indulging in psychological cover-up so he can sleep at night. I would have more respect for the man if he had the courage of his convictions.

The alien finished up being transformed back into an egg by the Time Vortex, so she could have a second chance at being brought up properly.
How's the FSF's Time Vortex coming along, Richard?
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:43 pm

Damn, I haven't seen that one yet. The missus wouldn't let me watch it with the kids around so I am getting the DVDs as they come out.
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:26 pm

A-Wing wrote:Damn, I haven't seen that one yet. The missus wouldn't let me watch it with the kids around so I am getting the DVDs as they come out.

Whats that I see above your head A-Wing? Is that a giant thumb? :wink:
Flea
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:29 pm

Must be, I have 2 kids and I'm getting hitched next Saturday, I'm only 25 :)
A-Wing
LXF regular

Next

Return to Discussion