Whether to renew my subscription or not.

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

RE: Well, I think that I tend to agree...

Postby jjmac » Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:31 pm

A-Wing wrote (page 1)

>>
My thinking was that a lot of people now have uncapped or high capped 1M or 2M connections now and can download CDs quite easily. That way there may be a way for a cheaper 'disc free' edition.
>>

My thinking is the opposite, and isn't that partly what the thread is getting at. Just what is the focus. Isn't Linux aimed at the people, rather than a system designed to support one particular agenda and so act as a form of control ... as MS is.

Can't say iv'e seen any reliable profiling on that though. It seems when ever demographics are offered concerning computing issues/usage, there always seems to be a marketing based agenda hidden behind them. As displayed in MS recent expression on OSS systems costing more than their own :roll:

>>
And someone stop my father-in-law from bringing round Windows mags when he knows none of my machines run Windows!
>>

(grin) Would you ignore the overseas press just because you don't live there :)

Some one else:

>>
Now, I tend to skip the X vs Y stuff for if I am not wrong, linux is about choices.
>>

Thats often stated, if so ... then the choices need to be available. It's almost funny in a way, when a person is very new to windows, and their going through an install ... and the installer starts to mention the ability windows has of providing a multi-boot environment. Their use of the term "other operating systems" ... until it's realised that they actually mean other windows versions :roll:. I suppose a good brief could make it stick in court though.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby gundam_rx78nt1 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:18 pm

jjmac said:
Thats often stated, if so ... then the choices need to be available. It's almost funny in a way, when a person is very new to windows, and their going through an install ... and the installer starts to mention the ability windows has of providing a multi-boot environment. Their use of the term "other operating systems" ... until it's realised that they actually mean other windows versions

What choices are you talking about? Take any flavour of linux, you get to select what packages you want installed. You want Blender or Gimp? You want koffice, openoffice, staroffice? Oh, don't get me started on media players... You select what you want on your machine. Just because you use xmms all the time doesn't mean that I have to. What if instead of xmms I want to use noatun? Those are the choices that I am talking about. Choices that make you get the most out of your box, no matter what type it is. Only you know what you want to do with it. You choose.
gundam_rx78nt1

Postby jjmac » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:51 am

>>
What choices are you talking about?
>>

Those alluded to in the first thread post.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs