Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victoria
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victoria Reply with quote

Today is the "official" celebrations of the Queen's birthday. It started with Victoria day (May 24) then became the official for the current monarch after her death. It is now the Monday before May 25 and known as the May 2-4 weekend. Over here a 2-4 is also a case of 24 bottles of beer. I am sure you can put 2 and 2 (or 2 and 4 Wink ) together.

Either way, I woke up before 6 AM on a holiday Monday and my 9.5 month old daughters had nothing to do with it, they were sleeping.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victoria Reply with quote

Congrats. But what's the point? (I'm not Canadian, not even Anglo-Saxon Wink)
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victoria Reply with quote

The point of the holiday? Now it is just an excuse to drink beer on a long weekend. Traditionally we celebrated the Queen's birthday. There are still firework shows for this.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victoria Reply with quote

Huzzah!

Very Happy
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen Victo Reply with quote

donoreo wrote:
The point of the holiday? Now it is just an excuse to drink beer on a long weekend.

And that is surely the point of any holiday!

Have a great one!

I'm not at all jealous Sad
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Oh come on nordle, it's Bank Holiday Monday next week Very Happy
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Your Bank holiday lines up with the US Memorial Day. It was a nice day here, lots of sun but a bit cool.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Well, we call it the Whitsun bank holiday, though it isn't on a Sunday and it probably won't be particularly white Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Whitsun is on a Sunday, the Whitsun bank holiday was the day after Whitsun, because you can't have a Bank Holiday on a Sunday. but it hasn't been called that for about 30 years, it's the Spring Bank Holiday now.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Yes I know, nelz. It could be that I was being mildly facetious. In fact I still call it the Whitsun bank holiday, in the same way that I refer to radio receivers as the wireless, in order to irritate the sort of people who are easily irritated by that sort of thing (i.e. frequently the same people who cannot enjoy a film just because it is in b/w).
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Queen V Reply with quote

Ah, but radio receivers are wireless (unless you count the wires inside of course) whereas the Bank holiday no longer falls on the Whitsun weekend except by chance Smile

Black and white films? Next you'll be saying you like silent films and TV without commercials Shocked
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Que Reply with quote

nelz wrote:

Black and white films? Next you'll be saying you like silent films and TV without commercials Shocked

Indeed, if I haven't said it already. I also like books. Smile
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thanks to Reply with quote

You can't beat a good scroll (stone tablets are too heavy to read in bed, it hurts like Hell when you nod off mid page).
MikeHarvey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thank Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
You can't beat a good scroll

You can get locked up for that, you know.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Holiday Monday here in Canada, thank Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
You can't beat a good scroll

No thanks, they tend to roll of the shelves. Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: