NVIDIA driver installation

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

NVIDIA driver installation

Postby Birdman » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:02 pm

I have read the installation instructions and want to make sure that I understand how the installation script works before I run it. It says that it checks your kernel and may have to look for the source code and compile a patch. I currently have 3 kernels in /boot and a source tree for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels. I have not symlinked /usr/src/linux to the 2.6 source tree that I am currently using because I have been experimenting and did not want to break the 2.4 installation. The question is, will the nvidia script be looking at /usr/src/linux and end up patching the wrong kernel or will it realise that the current kernel running is from /usr/src/linux-2.6.11? I am thinking of changing the symlink to point my current 2.6 tree at /usr/src/linux but, as you have probably gathered, I am new to this and I am not 100% sure in what I am doing.
Birdman
LXF regular

RE: NVIDIA driver installation

Postby nordle » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:26 pm

Birdman, the 2.4 source is basically redundant now that you've booted into 2.6.
Just rename /usr/src/linux to /usr/src/linux24 if you want to hang on to it for a little longer, but then simply create a symlink between /usr/src/linux and your 2.6 tree

Then just run the NVIDIA installer and your laughing.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:16 pm

Or run it as:

sh NVIDIA-Linux-blah-blah-pkg2.run --kernel-source-path=/path/to/kernel/source

where that's the path to the source of the kernel you want to compile the module for.

You can see other advanced options if you use the -A switch instead, though you might need to feed it through a pager such as less.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Birdman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:21 am

Thanks guys. I guess I was on the right track then ;)
Birdman
LXF regular

Return to Help!