no **** , i'm new to linux discussion group ,

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby zarathustra » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:47 pm

It was a figure of speech, please forgive my slip.
I paid for my initail Linux distros, because I wanted support, manuals *crucial those* and certified platters. not to mention the *cough* case badge!
Nowadays since I am approaching competent, I use downloads but then i do go looking online for support and not just ask in this forum, I read docs! Also try to write a few mind. Ack well for what it's worth I highly recommend SuSE, they are perhaps IMO 9/10 as vendors go.

Take care and enjoy whatever distro you plump for.
zarathustra

Postby Rhakios » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:22 pm

sandyman wrote:2. Time to install and customise Windows XP 4-5 hours.

Even installing Xandros under Qemu (don't ask!) didn't take that long.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:00 am

zarathustra wrote:Yes but they never quite stated from scratch, they could be refering to the 'recovery install' not the same.

Then it is not a valid comparison. He should be comparing it with restoring a Linux system from a partimage backup, which takes around five minutes, plus the minute or so to boot Knoppix.
nelz
Site admin

Postby sandyman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 6:08 am

nelz wrote:
sandyman wrote:OK I've had my trials and tribulations with Linux, but there again it has been on a laptop. Never the easiest piece of kit at the best of times. All I can say is

1. Time to install and customise Kubuntu < 1 hour
2. Time to install and customise Windows XP 4-5 hours.

4-5 hours! I knew it was bad but not that bad. I installed Gentoo, complete with KDE, on my iBook in not much more than an hour.

That included getting all the updates and patches from the 'net then installing software

Gentoo on an iBook. Why? OS X is IMHO the best *nix desktop available. This isn't meant as a windup or anything. I'm just genuinely puzzled.
sandyman

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:58 am

Because I need to be able to run Linux on the move. It's not about the best OS available, but the best OS for the job.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby sandyman » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:16 am

nelz wrote:Because I need to be able to run Linux on the move. It's not about the best OS available, but the best OS for the job.

Fair enough. I was just puzzled. Do you dual boot or just run Linux on it? Also, did you consider using Apples version of X11 and Fink or Xfree and Fink?
sandyman

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:21 am

I don't dual boot, although I will put MacOS X back on when i get time (and probably a larger hard disk). It's not really important though. I needed a new laptop that would run Linux and the iBook fitted the bill, compact, quiet, long battery life and the right price. The original OS was no more relevant that was Windows XP on my previous laptop.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby jjmac » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:29 am

>>
the only reason tha Bill #$% Gates has so many users is that it " appears to work out of the box "
>>

Yes but, its all done with mirrors :)

Being pre-installed anyway, does tend to encourage popularity too.

Just the old story ... folks like things to be along the lines that their familiar with, so the issue is probably more to do with change/culture diffs rather than anything thats really comparable.

Iv'e alway found win a bugger to install myself, and re-install ... and re-install ... etc (grin) ...

Incidently ... I read in the local (Herald) paper today, that over here, Griffith University is acquiring a new 128-CPU (AMD), Linux based supercomputer from Sun. It will be running Fedora Core3. Supported "In house" and via the "open" community. Griffith is way out west in country New South. It did get me thinking ...

Code: Select all
#1: Isn't FC3 a community RH release ... ie; designed for community testing (eek).
#2: Dose that mean LXF is going to start getting" help forum" posts from Griffith           Unis' computer science dept (grin).

The desktop issue could use clearer docs, i recone. But then, if people arn't going to read them anyway :roll:, what can ya do.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby pilchard » Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:59 am

well folks the first thing that i must say is what a great bunch of people you all are , I put one whinge on the diss group , being my first time on one and a huge amount of you got in to it , It does not matter if any one agrees , as long as there is "dialogue" , by the way people as per the original posting , I can't stand WinXP but it is the standard in so many areas that one has to be up to speed ,
So I have ended up with a dedicated Penguin machine , AMD 2600 ,!/2 gig ram , usual drives etc,hooked to a Dynalink 4 port router running Suse 9.2 , all running loverly , another week of running and will probably buy 9.3
pilchard

Postby jjmac » Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:42 pm

>>
I can't stand WinXP but it is the standard in so many areas that one has to be up to speed
>>

Up is a relative direction, and XP is not a standard. Just cuz a lot of folks wear ill fitting shoes, dosen't make it a good idea. XPs main claim, i think, is in providing a means for worm propogation. Along with the belief in 'sameness' is good. Similar thing really ... but, as is well known in biology ... when you have a homogenous base in a species, and a pathogen ... ... bye bye species ... :)

jm
jjmac
LXF regular

Linux is DYING!

Postby scort02 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:51 pm

Linux? Say What now in the What What!

Finally, I have decided to upgrade Windows 95 or should I switch to another OS, but which one, I have been hearing a lot about this thing called Linux. Yes Linux that’s it, I’ll switch to Linux, its damn near FREE!

The voice in my head (Supreme OverLORD): “Go to www.Linux.com my child, they will make it all CRYSTAL CLEAR!” Say what? Supreme OverLORD: “Go to www.Linux.com you idiot! Or I will STOP talking to you.”

Off I went! I read and I read and I clicked and I searched and read some more. Had sex with the wife a couple of times, went to sleep, woke up and I read some more. Boy those chicken select sandwiches from McDonalds are really good.

Unfortunately, Linux.com is loaded with more garbage intended for people who prefer to be called “Geeks!” lets face it I am a Idiot and so is 80-90% of the general public. We just want to turn it on, insert the CD & click Setup? It’s true, we don’t read the Licensing agreement; it’s easier to click “I Agree”, besides you want to use the program don’t you? I am so ashamed of myself :)

Oh YES! My point: Linux is dying; it has been conquered because it has been divided, and God know how many brands/version are out there:

Which one do I choose?
Why?
How much will it cost?
Will it or data generated by it be compatible with other version of Linux?
Will it be compatible with Windows?
Are there applications out there for that version such that I can do my job?
Is there support available 24x7?
What about security?
Is it only for hackers-geeks?
What’s a server?

In contrast, there is one Windows, One Mac OS that is compatible with every other version of said OS. Get this; there are hundred of thousands of programs out there most that can be had for free or next to nothing for these OS.

In summary, I am going to upgrade to Windows XP. Sorry gentlemen, I just want something that works 90% of the time, but I’ll settle for 80%: I don’t want to waste a second of my time reading about partition magic, boot sector, passwd files and GNU and when I create a presentation, I want to make sure that it will work on the computers at my job, otherwise I’ll be fired.

Ps: Its really cool that you can make that thingy blink and rollover; keep up the good work and maybe when you guys get you act together I’ll switch to Linux.
Sincerely, Scort02@juno.com
scort02

RE: Linux is DYING!

Postby RD » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:52 pm

Intresting answer, though i must agree on some of the points you've raised.

Saying that i like Linux (love to fiddle) but there are some things that IMO Linux needs, that is Games (yes i know there are a few) Visual Studio.NET (yes mono but that cannot work with vb) and thats about it really oh also Ghost (as in norton ghost) these are killer apps that i need and will stop my move to Linux (ok maybe not the games as much since most of the games i play work fine under cedega) so what do i do do i install win 98 for VS.NET and Norton Ghost and install Linux or just keep with XP and forget Linux (played with the new vista and looks really nice :D we shall see )
RD
LXF regular

Postby A-Wing » Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 pm

There are several alternatives to Ghost in Linux / Open Source.
I think the world would be a better place without VS.NET, and even better without VB. Since most rapid deployment seems to be going Java way nowadays anyway and Java is well supported I do not see a problem.
As far as Games go, Cedega runs most new Windows games in Linux, sometimes faster than they run in Windows.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:22 am

scort02, you need to identify your reasons for switching to Linux before actually going ahead. If you just heard "it's great and free" then inevitably you'll be disappointed -- there's far more too it than that. Linux isn't hard per se; it's just a whole different OS with a different background and roots. And yes, some usability aspects need working on.

But you can't just throw in a CD and expect everything to be the same. Similarly, as you described for some bizarre reason, you can't stuff yourself with McDonald's and then have sex with your wife. (I've learnt that with my ex the hard way...)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: RE: Linux is DYING!

Postby A-Wing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:30 am

M-Saunders wrote:Similarly, as you described for some bizarre reason, you can't stuff yourself with McDonald's and then have sex with your wife. (I've learnt that with my ex the hard way...)

I'm sure the guys at work here would argue against that one (although they are married now so I guess sex is off the cards) :)
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Discussion