recomendations for beginning linux user

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

recomendations for beginning linux user

Postby reign211 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:50 pm

i know very little about linux. i saw this thread and would like to know if one could advise me on what flavor to use to install on an ibm intellastaion pII 400mhz 1-2gb ram. i will be using the box to learn linux, and eventually as a NAS system. i will be adding a 600gb sata raid enclosure to it. any help would be gratly appreciated
reign211

RE: recomendations for beginning linux user

Postby davecs » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:59 pm

Wow, that's a lot of RAM for that processor!

If you are a beginner, you need something that should autodetect your hardware and with that amount of RAM you can run a Live CD and install from it.

I would try the following, in order:

1 - PCLinuxOS
2 - MEPIS
3 - Knoppix or Kanotix.

However, ask 20 Linux users and get 20 answers. But the above all install from Live Disc and you can decide when it is time to dive under the hood and learn about the system.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:46 pm

Do you have a SATA card? Is it part of the enclosure?

1-2GB of RAM and 600GB is very expensive, and your paring it with a £20 box?

Is this because
a. The Ram is Pc133 that you've already got / getting for free
b. Noise / heat are the biggest priorities.

If not, you can grab a K7 VIA KT800 board for £40 and a sempron 2500 for £45 (and if needed a highpoint rocketraid 1640 for £85)
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby reign211 » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:26 pm

Sorry i didnt get a reply by email =/ . but yes the 600gb is an external sata enclosure. and the system is maxed out at 2gb of ram.
reign211

Postby A-Wing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 6:19 am

I suggest trying a few live CDs (such as Ubuntu/Kubuntu, PCLinuxOS, etc...) and then either install them or get the installable version when you find one you like. Most distros now have a live version. Every person has a different distro to suit them. In my case its Ubuntu for office desktops and Fedora for servers.
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Re: RE: recomendations for beginning linux user

Postby nelz » Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:45 am

reign211 wrote:Sorry i didnt get a reply by email =/ .

You're not supposed, that's not how forums work. By keeping all communication on the forums, the information is available to search engines, to help people who may later have a similar question. Taking the interesting bits to email defeats the object.

however, you should receive an email notification when anyone posts to this topic (unless you deselected that option when posting) although some people seem not to get them. I suspect they are being caught by spam filters.
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: recomendations for beginning linux user

Postby A-Wing » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:36 am

nelz wrote:however, you should receive an email notification when anyone posts to this topic (unless you deselected that option when posting) although some people seem not to get them. I suspect they are being caught by spam filters.

They go in the wrong IMAP box on my message filter now you have change the from address name to "www-data". Should imagine kinda name may flag a few spam filters.

Plus you don't get reply notifications for a thread you have already had a notification for and not read under your username (in theory).
Andrew Hutchings, Linux Jedi
http://www.a-wing.co.uk
A-Wing
LXF regular

Return to Help!