Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:16 am

Background:
I have a laptop from work which runs a locked down XP and work rules preclude installing anything on it anyway. It would be nice to run what I want from a USB key. From your recent roundup Damn Small Linux looks good.

The problem:
I have downloaded and burnt two CD images dsl-1.2.iso, dsl-1.2-syslinux.iso.

Both CDs are bootable and contain KNOPPIX, lost+found and index.html files and folders. One also has a boot folder.

If I boot off the CD with the boot folder then no matter what options I select I see the start of the kernel loading (2.4.26) and then the screen goes blank and the machine locks solid. Power off/on and repeat.

The second CD fails in a similar way except that the failsafe option works. However the failsafe option disables useful things like USB support (see 'background').

I looked in the boot older and found an isolinux folder containing (amongs other files) isolinux.cfg. This appeared to include the options used for a failsafe boot (nousb nofirewire noagp, etc.) so I tried that with the other CD but it always locked up. (I thought I could start with a successful boot and then remove options until I isolated the problem and had USB working).

For reference Knoppix 3.8.2 runs vanilla straight from the CD (but is a bit big for my USB key).

I have looked in linux-laptops.org but I haven't found anything relevant so I am open to any ideas (or alternatives) so that I can install linux on a USB key and run it on this machine with support for ethernet, wireless and as much else as is possible.

Thanks for any advice.

RE: Damn Small Linux on Dell Latitude D610

Postby fingers99 » Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:29 pm

I think you can use the Knoppix "cheatcodes" with DSL (which is Knoppix based, anyway).

So, at boot you'd enter "noagp" so you saw:

boot: noagp

But you'll get a quicker answer on the DSL or Knoppix forums.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:30 pm

Thanks but, as I said, I tried the cheatcodes that were included with the isolinux.cfg 'failsafe' option. I even added a few such as noapic noapm but it still locked up. I will check to see if there are many more.

Postby fingers99 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:39 pm

OK, but you only tried the bootcodes included in the failsafe option: there may be others.

The DSL forum is here while the Knoppix one is here.
fingers99
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:07 am

Sorted! A strange thing. Of the two CDs the only one that would boot cleanly was the non-syslinux one and that only with the failsafe option. No assortment of command line options would work on that CD.

However after wasting a lot of time I decided to give the syslinux CD another go with my new array of command line options - and it worked. I eventually whittled the dozen or so options down to 'acpi=off'!

That still doesn't work on the non-syslinux CD but it works a treat with the syslinux one. Early success suckered me into relying on the wrong CD!

Moving on . . . .

Return to Help!