Microsoft is dead

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Microsoft is dead

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:29 pm

http://www.paulgraham.com/microsoft.html

well, maybe.

edit:URL direct link substituted
Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Re: Microsoft is dead

Postby 1slipperyfish » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:44 pm

is this what you meant?
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/04/07/1341210&from=rss
don't tell uncle bill :D
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

RE: Re: Microsoft is dead

Postby nordle » Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:19 pm

I had to smile when I recieved an email from tiscali, who'm I have an email account with, and they politely apologised to me for all the broadband issues people were having with their modems and Vista.

Firstly, it was nice of them because I don't have an ISP account with them, nor a modem from them, nor vista. But anyway, it went like this:

Code: Select all
Dear Customer,

Important: Windows Vista and your Tiscali service

Microsoft have launched a new operating system called Windows Vista. If you are thinking of upgrading your system to Vista, please read the important information below.

The introduction of Windows Vista has caused some problems throughout the industry. These are due due to incompatibility issues with other software. If you are upgrading to Vista there are scenarios where you may experience problems, such as being unable to connect to the Internet. This is due to incompatibility issues with your existing modem software and Vista.

Most other ISPs are experiencing the same difficulties, and Tiscali is working hard (along with our modem supplier) to ensure full compatibility with Vista. We expect to have a complete solution in the next few weeks. We suggest you wait until this is ready before purchasing Vista.

I have to laugh, for truck loads of reasons, but not least because HOW MUCH WARNING DO YOU NEED???
Windows Vista had many nicknames including, but not limited to, vesta and longwait. Geez, how much time do these people need to test their hardware / software.

Not that I'm suffering because if it, but it does make you wonder what these people have been up to for the last 7 years.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

RE: Re: Microsoft is dead

Postby godofthedevil » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:16 pm

I think MS is loosinig its dominance.

then again.. as long as there are lazy ppl microsoft will carry on making money
www.stewfisher.co.uk

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
godofthedevil
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: Microsoft is dead

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:56 pm

nordle wrote:I have to laugh, for truck loads of reasons, but not least because HOW MUCH WARNING DO YOU NEED???
Windows Vista had many nicknames including, but not limited to, vesta and longwait. Geez, how much time do these people need to test their hardware / software.

Not that I'm suffering because if it, but it does make you wonder what these people have been up to for the last 7 years.

Thing is, the driver architecture was not finalised until late last year, and many hardware drivers need to be seriously rewritten.
Which is why much hardware, especially bespoke printer drivers etc, are still not ready.

One of our suppliers, Ricoh, uses netBSD as an OS for their Copiers, and their Unix, etc support is better than Vista. We deal with 4 different MFP/Printer Manufacturers, and they seem to have been concentrating on Unix drivers lately, but there are only limited functionality "mini-drivers" for Vista.

Hmmmmmm.......
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Return to Other OS