Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yogeshsr11

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Reply with quote

Hi all,
I am installing Redhat Enterprise Linux (Desktop solution). I have PII 400 MHZ processor & purchased new 20 GB HD (Western Digital). I have ISO image CD's of the OS. While installing machine starts "verifying DMI pool data" & the process halts. I have set the BIOS to "CDROM, C, A". Hard disk is formatted & no problems were detected.Can anyone tell me whats the problem & solution.
Thank you.
Yogesh
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Reply with quote

This usually means there's something about the CD that stops your BIOS booting from it. Try using Smart Boot Manager, on all quality Linux cover discs Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Reply with quote

Hey,
First thanx for reply!! I have downloaded the OS from redhat site(3 in all) and then created CD from downloaded ISO images. Could that be the problem?
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: RE: Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Reply with quote

Not if you created the CDs correctly. If you didn't each CD would contain only one file, the ISO image, but then I'd expect the computer to skip the CD and boot from the HD.

If you created the CDs correctly, by writing the ISO as an image file, then the answer is simply that your computer will not boot from them, so use Smart Boot Manager.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: RE: Problem: Installing Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 Reply with quote

with fedora Core, there is media test...if that pass, the cd should be ok

in the bios load default bios with cdrom boot first
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to use "linux mediacheck" at the boot prompt to scan it, or "linux nocddma mediacheck" (don't quote me on this one, check the manual) to turn the DMA off (which can cause problems on some older motherboards apparently...)
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't get a boot prompt if the computer hangs at "verifying DMI pool data". All the CD checks assume you have booted from the CD. This is a known problems with a known solution.
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... Or test them on another machine Cool
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why go to all that trouble when you have already been given the solution?

The problem here is not the data on the CD, it is the bootloader. I expect RHEL uses isolinux, and some BIOSes are known to have problems with it, particularly older ones.
yogeshsr11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess CD is fine. As it finds the bootable CD after I start the machine (As I have mentioned earlier the boot sequence is CDROM, C, A). Then comes "Verifying DMI pool data" & it goes on and on and on. %$#$%
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding it and booting from it are not the same thing. I can find my car but it's not fine if it doesn't start.

What puzzles me is why you post in a help forum then ignore help when it is offered. The solution is simple.
yogeshsr11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey nelz,
I am new to Linux. It may be "The solution is simple." to you but I am having hard time figuring it out. I have never used Smart boot manager before. I checked on google but it says to install SW before use. How can I install the SW if I dont have woking box?
Sorry for the trouble. Hope you will understand.
zarathustra

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall from my trying times with wonky bioses that you simply burn smart bootmanager to cdrom *possibly can fit on floppy, but haven't used on of those in a longtime*. You then put the disc with smart boot manager into the cdrom/dvd and if you have a second cdrom/dvd drive put the first install disc in the second drive and boot from cold. the machine will boot smartbootmanager and bring up a menu allowing you to select the second drive, TADA! For further clarity allow Nelz to walk you through Wink
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are CD and floppy disk images in the Essentials/SmartBootManager of the LXF cover discs each month. You can use Linux or Windows to write these to a disk (use a floppy unless your computer has no floppy drive) then boot from it. If you have to use the CD version, wait for the menu to come up, remove the CD and insert the first RHEL CD, then select CD0 fro the menu.
yogeshsr11

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. But I am in USA and not a subscriber of LXF. But i guess the tool is available online so I will try to find it. All this help is really appreciated.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: