Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows"just works" yeah,right :P

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: Windows"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

Forgive me, but I constantly hear Windoze aficionados saying "windows is wonderful, windows just works, windows is easy".

Well that is just bulls**t.

My company has to use windoze based pdas, because our CRM package (which strangely enough, runs on Linux) only supports WM PDAs for it's linkit software.

I just got a new PDA.
It is made by the same manufacturer (HTC), they both run MS activesync, they both come with,and demand Outlook 2002, they both connect via USB.

Soooo. I should be able to plug in the new unit, update the software, everything should be smooooth, after all, windoze "just works".

HAHAHA......

I have just spent 3 hours trying to get my new PDA to work with my existing windoze installation (which worked fine with my old HTC PDA)
The documentation is sparse, the connection tools are limited, and if the wizard doesn't work, how in hell are you supposed to do anything?

Despite the wizard telling me that it had updated the drivers, activesync, and outlook, none of them worked until I uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled them

Don't get me started on how pants the Wifi setup is, or the fact that when I finally manged to get it synced by unticking an option that the troubleshooter told me to tick, it created duplicates of all my contacts and tasks, and ignored my emails.
Or that my Bluetooth GPS receiver can't connect to it, etc,etc.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE THAT NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MICROSOFT SOFTWARE?
LOOK ON THE WEB, YOU WILL FIND THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH MS SOFTWARE.

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by wyliecoyoteuk on Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Winodws"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

Maybe you misheard them.

Windows "just about works"

And it's true, it does!
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:04 am    Post subject: RE: Winodws"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

Failure is not an option, it comes with all Microsoft products Smile
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Windows"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

Today, I did my first MFP install on Vista- what a dog's breakfast of an OS!
I haven't really looked at it since the early betas.

Well I installed the miniPCL driver, and it worked, sort of, but it doesn't support duplex!
The Fax driver is "not supported"
The TWAIN driver is "not supported"
IE7 initially refused to access the web server on the machine,
The poor sweating IT guys struggling to get it to connect properly to active directory couldn't get remote scan delivery working, or any of the HP printers.

Thank goodness most of the network clients were still running XP, or their new fancy machine would be a rather large paperweight!

It seems that Linux now has better driver support than Windows (Vista at least).

Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Windows"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

It seems that Linux now has better driver support than Windows (Vista at least).

You should have asked, I would have save you the time. Linux has got better driver support then XP 64, I can't see how Vista would fair any better.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
godofthedevil
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Windows"just works" yeah,right :P Reply with quote

windows just works.... for the lazy and the ppl with their head in the sand..
linux just works... for me...
knoppix rules to convert ppl to the other side Smile

LinuxMint, The loveable Grandchild of Debian/GNU Linux
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: