Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WGA=microsoft update tool, apparently.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: WGA=microsoft update tool, apparently. Reply with quote

Do I detect a whiff of desperation?
Or is it a complete coincidence that so soon after MS launched Windoze Vaster, the Microsoft update tool has mysteriously metamorphosed into the MS WGA validation tool?

I dont like WGA, for good reason, not because I use pirated software.
However, last time I booted into winblows on my laptop, I was asked to install the latest version of "windows update", which surprise, surprise, was actually the "windows genuine advantage Validation tool".
I canceled it immediately.

The problem is that the MS tools are woefully inaccurate, we have several IBM laptops, purchased over the last 3 years, and One of them now is demanding activation via phone after a HDD upgrade, despite a perfectly good license, another is telling us it has a pirated copy of windows, even though it still has the same configuration and windows install that came with it.

Maybe we're just unlucky, but WGA has about a 20% failure rate on our XP PCs.
I just wish I could move more of them to Linux. Crying or Very sad Sad

ollie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: RE: WGA=microsoft update tool, apparently. Reply with quote

When Microsoft first introduced the Validation Tool or Windows Genuine Advantage Tool I spent around 3 hours on the phone with Microsoft Australia trying to get a "suspected pirate copy" re-activated so my customer could use their PC.

The "suspected pirate copy" was a full retail boxed version of Windows XP Professional that had been won in a competition on a local radio station. With this experience to go on I hate to think how many problems are going to occur with XP upgraded to Vista PCs.

It's just more reason to promote Ubuntu 6.10 and openSUSE 10.2 as real alternatives to Vista.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: RE: WGA=microsoft update tool, apparently. Reply with quote

Quote:
The "suspected pirate copy" was a full retail boxed version of Windows XP Professional that had been won in a competition on a local radio station. With this experience to go on I hate to think how many problems are going to occur with XP upgraded to Vista PCs.

Ah there's your problem you you didn't pay for it. A while back I was reading some guidelines published by the BSA (OK I was bored) and they are telling businesses that buying software from ebay is piracy. Now the obvious thought is ah he means copies. But nope they actually count buying genuine software from ebay as a form of license violation, so no doubt winning some is probably the same.

The general gist of their guidance is that unless the money has come straight to them (or an OEM) everytime a copy of windows is sold/transferred then it is not a genuine license!
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: RE: WGA=microsoft update tool, apparently. Reply with quote

The rules under the EULA need to be challenged. It is suspected that EULAs would not be upheld in Britain so perhaps there should be a legal challenge to this sort of thing.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: