Which broadband provider to use with linux?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby zarathustra » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:50 pm

[quote="1slipperyfish (troll)"]i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay £27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one :D )

Okay I grant Wanadoo no longer offer your package, but ahem Demon offer the same package for 19.99 a month. Oh and I also realise there are still others which offer it for under 15 GBP per month!
zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:59 pm

In addition UKonline *no experience of yet* offer an 8mb connection for 29.99 a month, granted they are capped but at 500GB they may as well not be!
Hmmm, think I'll pop over and see how they are rated at the adsl site you all mention.

Oh btw got Debian for AMD 64, dvd platters downloading *mmmmmmm Debian for AMD 64* Droooooooool :)
zarathustra

Postby Nobber » Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:30 am

I've been using Virgin.net's basic ADSL service for the last four or five months with no problems at all. It's 512kbps (and download speeds are typically very close to that), 6GB download limit per month, and £17.99 per month. And when I signed up, there was no activation fee. :)
800 LINES ERIC - GET BACK TO PYSKOOL
Nobber
LXF regular

Postby Coume » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:49 pm

Thank you all for your answers :)

Zen seems really interesting!!! Because their minimun contract is 1 month... which is great since I have no idea on how much time I will be working in this company :)

Thank again for your help.
Ludo, going back to enjoying sunny london :P
http://www.mythTVtalk.com - Where the World comes to speak about MythTV!
Hundreds of MythTV users already joined the community! What are you waiting to be the next one?
Coume

Postby sandyman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:30 am

Not suitable for Coume (it would appear he's not in one of their areas) but I've been using Blueyonder for nearly 5 years now. Apart from some email problems last year (well if you're going to use MS Exchange what do you expect?) and a News server hiccup the year before I've found it to be very good. No download limits a range of speeds and reasonable prices. It's worked with Linux, Mac OS X and Windows without any problems.
sandyman

RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:53 pm

Like some other people stated, ntl has no *official* linux support but it can be used just fine. Just make sure you know the settings (ie. username, password, nameserver etc) and you'll be fine.

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:48 am

Can any one recomend an adsl isp wich offers unlimited connection and static ip please

Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:26 am

Anonymous wrote:Can any one recomend an adsl isp wich offers unlimited connection and static ip please

Zen :) Hrm, two plugs in one thread... Although funnily enough, I haven't used my Zen connection all week -- what with being away and all. Might have to close the account. Sob.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with lin

Postby nelz » Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:53 am

I would never recommend Zen to anyone who wanted unlimited bandwidth. Who wants to share their pipes with such heavy downloaders? ;-)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with lin

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:51 pm

Thanks guys, just signed up with zen :D

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 23, 2005 1:09 pm

nelz wrote:I would never recommend Zen to anyone who wanted unlimited bandwidth. Who wants to share their pipes with such heavy downloaders? ;-)

Or heavy uploaders? :) Once upon a time I wrote an article that appeared on OSNews, and which contained a text link to an image on my personal ADSL-connected server. The article was then Slashdotted... and the router lights went bezerk for days. And that's with an indirect Slashdotting, via another site, with only a small text link in the article.

For those who've had sites directly linked on Slashdot's front page, my heart goes out to you (and your bandwidth).

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:28 am

I've been using Freedom 2 Surf and have had no problems under Linux. Freedom 2 Surf ranks very nearly as highly as Zen on ADSLguide.org and is, for my purposes, cheaper. I pay £14.99 for 2 Mb/s and a monthly limit of 2 GB. Usage is unmetered between 1 and 6 am. Other options are available. The minimum contract is just one month.

Postby TimIgoe » Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Freedom2surf 512k unlimited - rock solid stable and only £22.50 a month :)

static IP too - very useful for those wnating a home server and no ports blocked.
TimIgoe

Postby Guest » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:01 pm

just a quick reply ((( at this moment in time i do not recommend )))

B T.... there network sucks... and their tech support is even worse....

Im sorry you cant see some sites its not our problem just our new ip address we are giving out...

=
SUCKS

Postby davecs » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Just to add my £0.02:

I use NTL. Currently it is £18 a month for 1 Mb/s, and I am not aware of any download limit.

You connect through ethernet or USB, Ethernet is recommended, but if you have to use USB, the modem they give you is supported under Linux (uses the module cdcether).

Disadvantage is that you probably need Windoze to get started in the first place. I made the switch after I started Broadband, so this didn't affect me. If you have access to a copy of Win98SE, you can get it started, then delete it and install linux?

Bad side of NTL: Although on the most part their service is pretty solid, when it does go wrong, customer service is poor.

My overall advice to anyone wanting Broadband for Linux is this: Find out what device they use to connect you to the internet. Ethernet and Firewire depend on whether the Ethernet and Firewire interfaces inside your computer are Linux compatible. They nearly always are.

However, USB connections depend on whether the external device is compatible with Linux. So you need to find out that it is.

Once you have this information, you can weigh it up with the other pros and cons.
Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

PreviousNext

Return to Help!