Which broadband provider to use with linux?

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby Coume » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:22 pm

Hello,

I just moved in the uk and will be moving soon to a new place to start my new job...

I have to choose a broadband provider, but I don't know which one is the best for linux? the guy in the room is currently using NTL, so it would be pretty easy for me to activate NTL. but IIRC I read that NTL is not working well with Linux.

Anyway, I am looking for your advice! If the provider does not have a 12 month minimum contract it is even a better one :)

Cheers,
Ludo
http://www.mythTVtalk.com - Where the World comes to speak about MythTV!
Hundreds of MythTV users already joined the community! What are you waiting to be the next one?
Coume

RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby towy71 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:50 pm

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ and checkout ISP Comparator in the first paragraph
hth
oh and zen should be one of your options ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:05 pm

I use NTL as my backup provider, via a router. although I connected the modem directly to my laptop when it was first installed and it was fine. NTL's cable modem has ethernet and USB connectors. If you pretend the USB one isn't there, it works perfectly with Linux.

As to which provider is best, that depends on your needs. The cheaper ones have bandwidth limits, or are less reliable. The more expensive providers tend to have less restrictions and more uptime, but then they are more expensive. Yer pays yer money etc. but it is well worth looking at ADSLguide to see what others got for their money.

For the record, I use Zen and am very happy with them. I don't think there's been any downtime since I switched to them about nine months ago. Until recently, my NTL connection used to fall over, albeit usually briefly, at least twice a day.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:03 pm

[quote="nelz"]I use NTL as my backup provider, via a router. although I connected the modem directly to my laptop when it was first installed and it was fine. NTLI have blueyonder/telewest broadband have just gone over to linux mandriva 10.2. The motorola modem has ethernet and USB connectors. If you pretend the USB one isn't there, it works perfectly with Linux, power down the modem if used on USB first, then install your distro.

Postby hairymunky » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:20 pm

Wanadoo works with my IPCOP router machine, only drawback is the bandwidth allowance, for which I've had a letter telling me Im over my 30Gb allowance (and they don't give you any way to check your usage)..
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby nelz » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:08 pm

Use a 30GB partition for your downloads. When it's full, you're over your limit :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby linuxgirlie » Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:10 am

Use Plus.net £21 a month for 2mb and no limits, use it with a router and then a IPCop firewall, work like a dream, until they start doing maintenance and I panic as my connection is broken.....lol :shock: :lol:
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:05 am

i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay £27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one :D )
when i am downloading distros etc overnight i can hear them gritting their teeth at wanadoo :D
last month i did about 10 or twelve overnighters and i get three letters from wanadoo asking me to upgrade to 1 meg capped :D
forget it suckers 8)
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Nigel » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:34 am

1slipperyfish (troll) wrote:i also use wanadoo with no problems i pay £27.99 a month for 512k unlimited which you can't get any more(and i won't be giving it up for a capped one :D )

Ditto. I signed up when it was still FreeServe.

I have been wondering about changing, as £27.99 now seems a bit pricey, but the service is very reliable, and most other services now come with a cap.
I find 512k is perfectly adequate for my needs - even when the family are all playing ToonTown (which unfortunately requires Internet Exploder) at the same time as I'm trying to download something.

So unless I can get an uncapped service for a lot less money, I'm staying where I am.
Hope this helps,

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:40 am

i've always thought of going to metronet apparently they are really cheap but the sme as anything else you have to pay more to download more :roll:
i also signed upwhen it was freeserve and if i'm honest i can't see a better deal for my needs.
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby towy71 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:49 am

Zen offer uncapped and always on service cheaper than wannapoo: ZenADSL Home 500 : Home and Professional - priced at only £21.27 monthly
I went with Zen because they are the best on asdlguide.org and everyone I know, that uses them, has found them friendly and helpful.
My little modem/router has been up and running since the day my telephone line was enabled and feeds the SmoothWall Express box which I turn off when I'm away for more than a day or two.
I have downloaded several distros and update my Debian box and ubuntu/experimental box regularly with no problems (apart from my inbuilt stupidity)

I do not let my windows box connect to the outside world, paranoid? I don't think so ;)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:05 am

I'm a long time AOL user - my wife moved here from the States and had a lot of friends and like AOL, so I opted for the 'easy life'.

I've never had a problem with AOL and routinely download updates and entire Distros - it would be interesting to see what my data usage has been like over the last few months.

It works happily using a router, and you can also access your email through packages like Thunderbird and Evolution.

Obviously I don't have a static IP address - no particular need at the moment - but that shouldn't stop you at least considering AOL.

All the best,

AndyH
Andy

Postby youlikeicecream » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:22 am

NTL is just fine for me using either a broadband router or just the ethernet connection from the modem. Probably would run into problems if using the USB interface on the modem.

ADSL? > well if you are gonna use ADSL then I would advise getting a Router for it as this will save you plenty of time configuring your internet connection/modem.

My IP address doesn't change ever, the only time it changes is when the MAC address of my router changes. (I put a new router in and IP changed - put old one back 3 months later and it changed back to what it had been before)

Hope this info is of use
Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby hairymunky » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:13 pm

nelz wrote:Use a 30GB partition for your downloads. When it's full, you're over your limit :)

I would if I had anymore space :) Maybe I should stop downloading new distros to try, and just wait until they're on the LF DVD...

Otherwise, I'll wait till I get another letter then jump the sinking ship....
Bulldog broadband offer 4Mb Broadband, but its only in certain areas and 2Mb elsewhere, I might swap over to them or maybe dial pipex as they also offer unmetered bandwith...

Hmmmphhhh wish I could get 4Mb!!!!!
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

RE: Re: RE: Which broadband provider to use with linux?

Postby M-Saunders » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:31 pm

Another thumbs-up for Zen here. Although it's not the cheapest, it's fast and immensely reliable.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Next

Return to Help!