Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY satellite Dish

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xraynorm
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: DIY satellite Dish Reply with quote

I have finally given up with freeview through an aerial, I just cant get a consistently good signal.

Apparently if you point a satellite dish at the at the Astra satellite, you can receive free to air channels with a satellite box.

How easy is it to aline the dish to the satellite?

Signal meters from are cheap from ebay, is this something I can do?

Last edited by Xraynorm on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
wiz
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itś easy with a compass, a protractor and a television you can see from the dish, if you know the approximate angles to point the dish to.
Alternatively, look at a neighbours dish, see where that is pointing and copy it.

Align the dish roughly by the compass reading (or copying) and then use the signal strength meter (shown on the tv screen) of the satellite receiver to do the fine tuning side to side & up & down.

I would check that the free channels are definitely available before buying anything though. ( Oh, and don´t fall off the roof)
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be some help.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Step 14. Go to the fridge, crack open a beer and watch the BBC. By the time you've finished your beer and flipped through all the channels you will have realised that you have a couple of hundred channels, nearly all of which carry total rubbish. Welcome to the world of satellite TV.

Oh, so true! Yet I still can't persuade my other half to let the Sky subscription lapse Crying or Very sad
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, how about 'forgetting' to pay it? Wink To trick the Mrs, record a day's worth of stuff and tune the Sky channel to that of the continiously running PVR (with MythTV, of course Razz) She won't notice the difference for at least a week, a fortnight if you're lucky. By then she's so far behind she'll probably lost the plot and her interest Wink

[PLOP]...
Ohwell, can't blame a guy for daydreamin', can you Wink
buchaille

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutch_Master wrote:
Well, how about 'forgetting' to pay it? Wink

This bit won't work: because I can be relied on to forget to pay things she takes care of that part of our family life anyway. Confused

This is a pity, because this suggestion
Quote:
To trick the Mrs, record a day's worth of stuff and tune the Sky channel to that of the continiously running PVR (with MythTV, of course Razz) She won't notice the difference for at least a week, a fortnight if you're lucky. By then she's so far behind she'll probably lost the plot and her interest Wink

probably would work - I'd only have to record a few episodes of CSI, ER and NCIS with different channel screens to convince her that all the channels were showing repeats: fairly plausible, I think.

(Hmm. perhaps the last sentence belongs in the thread about acronyms...)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: