Going back to Linux: windoze doesn't work anymore...

Help and discussion about non-Linux operating systems

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Going back to Linux: windoze doesn't work anymore...

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:51 pm

Well, I trashed my windows MCPC- wouldn't boot windows, no Linux(removed it as it wouldn't work with my Mobo)

So I thought ...what the hell, so I have to reinstall, reactivate, reload all the drivers and apps, but it will be a clean install.

About 7 hours later.... every time I try to install the audio driver ( any version, from the CD or the website), it switches itself off.
Sometimes it demands that i install the "Microsoft bus driver " first. ( I have tried with 4 different versions of the MSBD...no go.) then it goes into standby!

It will not detect the Realtek HDaudio device, if I try and install it manually, the PC copies the files then crashes (either goes into standby with no warning, or actually switches off).

The motherboard install CD autoloader says "no correct item found"

This is after installing WMC with the mandatory multiple reboots, installing media portal and configuring it.

One notable issue with WMC insert a dDVD "windows media player cannot play this DVD because an error has occurred with Digital rights Management"

Translation- unless you install a 3rd party DVD player, WMC cannot play DVDs. £75 for WMC OEM, and MS too tight to pay for an MP4 licence.....

And all these People who say that Linux is difficult should be forced to install printer drivers on Citrix Metaframe!

I am now going to reinstall WMC yet again, but this time I won't fit the TV card until after I get everything else working. ( I am told that apparently this is the cause of the problem, but I am not totally convinced)

edit: and I am not alone, just google for asrock AM2NF6G-VSTA and audio )
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

RE: Going back to Linux: windoze doesn

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:10 pm

Well, I am astounded, I owe Mr Gates an apology. After all that , it was blindingly obvious.

1. remove all PCI cards (if your main display is PCI, tough)
2. look in device manager, and you will see a (nonexistent) PCI device with a yellow exclamation mark by it.
click on it and select update driver, then allow searching the MS site.
This downloads the Microsoft Bus driver ( the same version that I have already installed manually).
Then either run the audio driver install or reboot and let the hardware detection work the way it should have done in the first place.

So obvious and simple, I could kick myself for being so stupid!
Now my on-board audio works!

Windows is really user friendly, isn't it?

(P.S. the manufacturer's driver cd still says "no correct item found"- and it only took me 8 hours to reinstall WMC- I should be grateful I wasn't installing Vista).
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:22 pm

P.S. I sometimes wonder if someone up there hates me.

So many people post on here saying "Windows just works. I never have to struggle to install the right drivers or configure it in any way, it plays DVDs and MP3s without any other software, I can install it in 30 minutes and do anything I want, and it wipes my bottom when I go to the toilet,etc,etc"

Why then do I almost always have problems with any windows install.
The only ones that I do not (often) have issues with are the ones that come pre-installed when I buy a PC. :?

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:15 am

It comes pre-installed on the PC, because otherwise they'd have to supply it with a screwdriver. :)
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby nordle » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:18 am

Your not alone, I had real trouble getting this c2d system together in september. Apart from the fact the ba$tard thing required a floppy drive to install, It took me AGES to get ANY IDE device to show up.

It required a combination of setting the correct SATA/PATA combinations in the BIOS, but also, going into device manager in windows and disabling a set of SATA controllers, only then would the IDE DVDRW's show up in windows.

OK, this could be a manufacturers issue, except it is a standard layout, SATA ICH8 + PATA provided by JMicron.

Although to be fair, Linux 2.6.18-rc1-3 also disabled the IDE controller addon, the difference being that the kernel booted and TOLD ME exactly what was happening, so it was easily sorted (has to wait for 2.6.18-rc4, but it was quick and I knew what was going on). The Windows situation however required a lot of fiddling and diagnosis, as it did not say "Hey, you know what, Im disabling all IDE devices until you disable secondary SATA in windows device manager. Instead it left me to flounder like an idiot for a couple of very frustrating days.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Other OS