Install time of over 4 hours! For Fedora, help

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Install time of over 4 hours! For Fedora, help

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:18 pm

Been trying the latest 64bit Fedora's on my 64bit pc's and they are taking almost four hours to install. What am I doing wrong?

Please help before I go bonkers. Or maybe spending the noted time in front of a pc for install is bonkers! ack!

RE: Install time of over 4 hours! For Fedora, help

Postby skecs » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:07 am

Try another distro - Suse 9.2 64-bit ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/x86_64/9.2/iso/ or Suse 9.3 64-bit (mini network install only - you need a big internet connection) ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/9.3/iso/ - and see if you are still having problems

The install time shouldn't take anywhere near that long even formatting large HDD or partitions.
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby M0PHP » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:24 am

It might be a DMA issue on either the HD or the CD/DVD drive (if that's the media you are installing from. If, of course, you are installing from a remote HTTP or FTP site then it will only be as quick as your Internet connection...)
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:43 am

It could also be faulty media. If you have written the ISO images onto well-used RW discs, try new CD/DVD-Rs.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Return to Help!