yes
65%
no
35%
don't care
No votes

Total votes : 20

Postby evilnick » Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:11 pm

I would like a members-only forum to be the very last resort. For all the reasons mentioned so far, I think that the help forum should be accessible to everyone.
the other forums do require registration, so it's just the one place that spam can turn up. Although it is annoying, it's hardly at epidemic levels at the moment. Rest assured we will be looking out for it, and blocking off the site from transgressors.
evilnick

RE: Re: RE: Members only forum?

Postby Flea » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Is it not possible to create a script on the server that deletes (or denies posting) any messages containing Chinese/eastern characters? I seriously doubt anyone here will be able to help a genuine post written in Chinese anyway!
The question is, what is a mahnamahna?
The question is, who cares?
Flea
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:16 pm

Not all the spam is in Chinese characters. There have been quite a few with lists of links to online gaming sites.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Re: RE: Members only forum?

Postby nordle » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:06 pm

M-Saunders wrote:Weeellllllll... Yesterday and today I've been going through all the recent spam, plucking out the IPs and narrowing it down. Most junk posts of late have come from the same IP block; this is now banned, along with a few others. Hopefully it'll keep the level down for now, and I'll be keeping on top of it from here onwards.

Anonymous posting is tremendously useful for newcomers and emergencies, so hopefully we can keep it and make sure the forums remain clutter-free at the same time!

Mike (Site Ed)

Nice one Mike! Trying to keep anon posting for as long as possible has got to be the way.

Maybe the beefy new servers could send DOS's down the line at any IP which spams and take it down :wink:

(I'm of course kidding)
nordle
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Members only forum?

Postby towy71 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:39 pm

I too would prefer anonymous posting for help, for all the reasons formerly stated but on the day I started the thread there were quite a few and I thought we should at least alk about it.
I would hate to have any of our freedoms taken away!
Dick
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby hairymunky » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:09 pm

Yes. Most forums I visit nowadays (even if its just for one question), make you register before you can post. I suppose it cuts out on email farming, spam, and idiots just posting a load of gobble-de-gook!
I would go with members-only posting, but allow all surfers to read posts (allowing googlers to read advice already available)...
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby M0PHP » Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:12 pm

Once again, thursday afternoon, more guest-posted spam :evil:
M0PHP
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:15 pm

Yep, grrr! But I'm tallying it up and working out the best bans to implement. Most spam posts in the last few days have been from the same range -- let's see what happens after I do this... :-)

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Discussion