"Build Your Own Linux" problems

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

"Build Your Own Linux" problems

Postby rctxtreme » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:37 am

I've been looking through the pdf in LXF86 (i HATE waiting... I want 88, I'm so jealous of you UK people...) and have encountered a few problems

- I have gone through multiple reburns of Knoppix 4 with image and htm modifications with Windows and CDBurnerXP... and if I turn bootable disc off, it doesn't work. If on, if I use floppy image, it doesn't work. If I use no emulation, it doesn't work. But that shouldn't even exist...

- 128mb of ram at least. Well Knoppix 4 has basic NTFS support, so would it be safe to follow the mounting instructions for hda2 (C:/ NTFS on windows)?

- I forgot to check up the specs on an old Compaq 712AU laptop before overwriting it with Ubuntu and I can't find any info on the HP/Compaq site

Any solutions?
rctxtreme

RE: "Build Your Own Linux" problems

Postby donoreo » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:26 pm

Merry Christmas!

For the specs can you get into the BIOS? That will tell you just about everything. I found this:

Compaq Presario 712AU Portable
OS WinXP Home
AMD Athlon 1100mhz
20GB HD
240MB RAM
S3 Graphics Twister
56K Internal Modem (boohoo)
Toshiba CDRW/DVD

Posted on another board, you RAM may be different and it may be a 1200 processor.

I found this HP page: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/prod ... intable=no

If you look at the drivers download:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 62&lang=en

It will give you a good idea of what is in that machine.

Now, as far as waiting for LXF 88, how about getting a subscription? I do not know where you are, but I get my issue in Canada about a week and a half after they do in the UK. No, I do not work for LXF or Future Publishing, although I would not mind doing so :)
I cannot deny anything that I did not say.
donoreo
LXF regular

Postby rctxtreme » Mon Dec 25, 2006 9:08 pm

I was given the laptop as a gift some time ago... but it was replaced with Ubuntu 6.10 edgy (megapack repos are stuffed)

And I use ADSL (stuff telstra, those evil people)

edit: What about the other questions?
Oh, and does anyone know of any Linux drivers for S3 Twister?
rctxtreme

Postby jjmac » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:21 am

rctxtreme wrote:

>>
and if I turn bootable disc off, it doesn't work. If on, if I use floppy image, it doesn't work. If I use no emulation, it doesn't work. But that shouldn't even exist...
Any solutions?
>>

What is the actual cml your using.

Q2 ...

It seems there are drivers available that allow for writing to a mounted NTFS partition from Linux. But unless you have that available i wouldn't trust trying to __write__ to such a partition/filesystem. Make sure the write support _does_ exist first and verify it, possibly via a post.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: "Build Your Own Linux" problems

Postby rctxtreme » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:06 am

jjmac wrote:rctxtreme wrote:

>>
and if I turn bootable disc off, it doesn't work. If on, if I use floppy image, it doesn't work. If I use no emulation, it doesn't work. But that shouldn't even exist...
Any solutions?
>>

What is the actual cml your using.

Q2 ...

It seems there are drivers available that allow for writing to a mounted NTFS partition from Linux. But unless you have that available i wouldn't trust trying to __write__ to such a partition/filesystem. Make sure the write support _does_ exist first and verify it, possibly via a post.

jm

HELLO!!!

CDBurnerXP
rctxtreme

RE: Re: RE: "Build Your Own Linux" problems

Postby jjmac » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:26 pm

>>
HELLO!!!

Quote:
CDBurnerXP
>>

(sly_grin.png)

Howdy,

To be more explicite, i was refering to a command line, by that i mean the actual options that the program was using. Not necessarily an actual command line as such, as that's all the otions that your program uses are.

I was trying to get at, how do you have the program actually configured at the time. The options you have selected. The problem is lickely contained there.

>>
if I turn bootable disc off, it doesn't work
>>

Makes sense, your looking for a 'bootable disc'

>>
If I use no emulation
>>

That sounds more to do with the iso creation, where it would be used.

If your remastering the image, then there will be two things happening, image creation then burning ... You would need to provide an ordered list of the whole option set your using for each attemp, including speed. And whether the program is combining both stages. Then someone will be able to see clearly what is actually going on, and get somewhere with it.

'mkisofs' and 'cdrecord' (or another burn tool) would also do it. As the underlying process is the same. I was thinking of comparing the options/configuration that program was using to the ones i'm familiar with, and maybe getting a hint that way.

jm
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Return to Programming