Software Freedom Day September 10th 2005

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Software Freedom Day September 10th 2005

Postby towy71 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:32 pm

Yeah jump about in fun and bring software freedom to all!

http://softwarefreedomday.org/

Link your websites, blogs foto albums and emails to the above, add it to your sig, join a lug.

Dick

Oh yes give away http://www.theopencd.org to those who want windows apps!
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby wiz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:13 pm

is the opencd adding value to Windows ?
I can't really decide if it's a good or bad thing.
wiz
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:22 pm

It is a good thing, a very good thing. Most users care about applications, not the underlying OS. If you get them using Firefox, Thunderbird and OOo on Windows, they will find the transition to Linux so much easier.

Even if they stick with Windows, anything that reduces the stranglehold of vendor lock-in has to be a good thing.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby wiz » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:49 am

Point taken. What I am hoping for is that Linux desktop users become enough of a force that the hardware vendors realise that it is worthwhile investing in providing drivers for their products. I just wondered if these Widows apps would tempt people to try Linux or make them stick with Windows.
wiz
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:30 pm

I like free stuff, but not just cause it is free. Open Office is actually more compatible than MS office, easier to use and doesn't have tha bloody assistant making noise and distracting you all the time. I also noticed that Open office has more support for different documents and export functions, and when you open a csv it actually offers a comprehensive conversion tool before opening the document, im never installing MS office again !

I think microsoft's reign of terror will soon be over, and then we can all get back to doing some work - lol
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Return to Discussion