Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Postby 2tux-zx7r » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:17 pm

Am I alone in thinking that retro gaming features are just space fillers ?

The old Amiga mags used to put these in every so often because news and articles were thin on the ground. I'd be suprised if people had the necessary kit around to grab the ROM files from. I know when I finally left the Amiga for Linux on a PC I sold all the kit and games so would have nothing to use anyway. Where will interested parties get the games to play and the medium to load them from e.g. Amiga floppy drives ?

And to be honest, I'd rather use Legacy to play Doom on Linux than emulate any Amiga 1st person 3d which never came close to this venerable classic, let alone Quake/Quake2 which I can also play on Linux.

Just my thoughts. I feel that a lot of space was wasted on this article that could have been given over to Linux specific content that is requested in this forum.

John
2tux-zx7r

Re: Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jun 30, 2005 1:16 pm

2tux-zx7r wrote:And to be honest, I'd rather use Legacy to play Doom on Linux than emulate any Amiga 1st person 3d which never came close to this venerable classic, let alone Quake/Quake2 which I can also play on Linux.

Fair enough, but the stock Amigas were never powerful enough to create earth-shakingly great first-person shooters. That said, Gloom was pretty good -- the exploding gut fireworks when blasting "aggro skinheads" was tops :-)

2tux-zx7r wrote:Just my thoughts. I feel that a lot of space was wasted on this article that could have been given over to Linux specific content that is requested in this forum.

Had the article been purely about general retro gaming, that may be true, but the focus was on emulating under Linux. Aside from the intros to the machines, the vast bulk of content was about Linux software and how to install/run it.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Re: Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Postby guy » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:52 pm

2tux-zx7r wrote:Am I alone in thinking that retro gaming features are just space fillers ?

Don't you mean Space Invaders? :razz:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

RE: Re: Retro gaming article - space filler ?

Postby linuxgirlie » Thu Jun 30, 2005 8:14 pm

Oh, I liked it, I remember when my parents bought us a Sega Master System (before the Mega Drive) it was alot...alot of money, came with a gun, two pre-installed games, Sonic and a urmmm Micheal Jackson game where you killed bad guys by moonwalking and throwing your hat at them.......it made me feel all warm inside.....

Jo

ps, I won't meation that Paul said wow, my first computer was a ZX........
My knowledge comes with no warranty...........

Server operating system designed for schools:http://www.linuxschools.com
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:26 am

Ah, the Master System. To this day I still whistle the Alex Kidd in Miracle World music as I potter about.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby Flea » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:08 am

Does anyone remember Zillion for the Master System? One of the most addictive games I have ever played and so infuriating, took me a good month to complete! Of course I was only 8 at the time :D
Flea
LXF regular

Postby andychannelle » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:57 am

I played PsychoFox to death on the Master System. I was literally king of the world until my girlfriend (now wife) became obsessed with the game and managed to complete it without losing a single life. Grrr!

Fantasy Zone was good too, as was Teddy Boy.
andychannelle
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:44 pm

Them were't days, as we northerners would say. Personally I thought the Master System incarnation of Sonic 2 was much better than the Mega Drive release, but that's just me. And I could really do with a Game Gear again -- essentially a Master System squeezed into a handheld box -- although its battery-munching habits (6 AAs barely lasting a few hours) did nae do it no good like.

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby hairymunky » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:27 pm

First computer I saw was a ZX80 (before the ZX81) From there I was addicted! I grew up with the ZX81 then the speccy. Think they're still up the loft somewhere, its becoming a bit of a computer graveyard up there.
Best game was Manic Miner /JetSet Willy... or was it The Hobbit, I spent weeks playing that adventure. Ahh those were the days :)
Just a pity it took 10 minutes to load a 48Kb file from tape... (don't think you can get a game thats as small as that nowadays).
Or spending a whole night typing in a game program from a computer magazine, then spending another few hours fixing the spelling mistakes, just for the power to flicker, and the computer to restart... no more program and the whole night wasted!
Linux powered Astronomy
hairymunky

Postby evilnick » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:49 pm

Space-filler?!?!? When we want a space filler we pick something easy that we can rattle off in a few hours, not a giant megathon of retro-nostaglia mixed with pertinent and well-researched tips and instructions.

My first proper computer was a ZX80 which I still have. I also had an Atari VCS, Vic 20 and C64 before moving on to the Amiga. I find it really difficult to decide what the best computer game is - there are so many way syou can judge. For length of time I actually spent playing, on the Amiga it woul d have to be Sensible World of Soccer, Pirates! or an obscure strategy game called Sword of Aragon.

On the C64, it was probably Lords of Midnight.
evilnick

Postby 1slipperyfish » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:54 pm

ah the zx81 the joy of m/c coding
and the spcectrum who you gonna call "ghostbusters" i must have spend a millionn hours in that hurse on the way to catch a ghost :roll:
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby Lancer » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:11 pm

I remember having big ambitions to make this huge "press play on tape for next part" game on the ZX81complete with between-stage screen animations using chunky sqare block graphicvs and FOR-NEXT loops. My mate saw it and his jaw dropped, exclaiming "how did you DO that???"

And I always wanted to know how they got hi-res onto a certain "fortyniner" game on the same machine (a great into to the true concept of hacking).

Retro gaming is cool. Always was. Currently in the process of sorting out dependency hell for fuse.
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:06 am

Just to cloud your sunny nostalgic reminiscences. I had a ZX81 I bought second hand - I was glad when the bloody waste of money died. It made me swear off computers for nearly 17 years.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Flea » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:53 am

Although, technically, I am to young to truly remember such old machines I did actually spend a great deal of my youth playing games on my dads old Memotech besides taking my first steps with Basic :)
The game I remember most from that time was Toado, I believe this was a rip of of some other game I never played called Frogger (or something like that?). Anyway, that was probably classed as retro gaming when I was playing it! I remember my dad boasting of the great graphics in games like Keen, Duke Nukem, Cosmo and Xenon on his £2000 386sx :wink:

IMHO though I think these games should be left in the past, I remember having a go on tie fighter years after having last played it and being very disappointed at the graphics, I know graphics aren't everything but that was what I loved about it, it was a top of the range game when I first played it and seeing it years later destroyed my memory of the game :(

Dave.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:11 am

ah you see it's because you never player galaxians :wink: i think your opinion might change if you had conquered the galaxians when i was about 10 we went to blackpool for a week and i played it in the arcades every waking hour 8)
i didn't have a zx81 but my mate did and we would get a zx81 mag and copy about twenty lines of 1's and 0's (getting them wrong as spelling isn't my strong point) then it would be the crapest game you had ever seen :roll: ah we wasted many saturday afternoons in that way.
retro is always cool 8)
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Next

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs